Tortoise Diseases and Cures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/commondisease.html

Hey I was scrolling through the net and I was wondering if this site was accurate in the discription and treating these sort of tortoise diseases. then it got me wondering , what have you guys experienced and how did you experienced veterans treat the problem? Do you guys have your own home remedies that work ? :).

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I just quickly browsed through the site but it seems fairly accurate. And they do put "see a vet" in a lot of places.

Well I have had a tort with nerve disorders (physical therapy and a small wheelchair when she was younger has made it so she is gradually regaining use of legs).
a turtle with abscesses and a broken arm for him he went into a sterile enclosure with slightly higher temps. I emptied the abscesses, cleaned them, and then applied novasan (sp?). As for his broken arm he was still using it and was ony a very young hatchling so I didn't bother stabalizing it or anything. Today he is healthy, active, and tries to bite me anytime I get too close.
I have nursed some sliders that were attacked by dogs for them I again had a sterilized dry environment. Cleaned and wrapped the wounds with a packet of tea leaves and aloe wrapped in cloth so particles didn't get inside the turtle.
Other than that I have only had minor issues that were easily corrected with environment changes.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
If ever you have a really sick tortoise you should bring him to a qualified exotic reptile vet, not a dog & cat vet. The vet will treat the sick tortoise and give you clear instruction to treat him. Always follow the vets instructions. I don't trust home remedies off the internet, it could backfire and cause the death of your tortoise.

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
That's really interesting, I wonder what the wheelchair looked like. I know it's not a laughing matter and please don't take this the wrong way but it just seems like an adorable thought seeing a small tort in a wheelchair. :) I'm glad your tortoise and turtles are healthy.

I thought it would be a good idea to get collective information on remedies because vet visit can be costly for some members. Of course if it was a serious situation you would obviously being them to a professional. I'm not advocating on trying to cure your tortoises yourself but to help get ideas on how to help them when they have a little cold or a small cut, something on the lines of that.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Most of those are symbiotic with poor husbandry. If proper diet and care is utilized for the pet problems shouldnt be too common. It does happen. Sometimes need to make minor changes in some techniques.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Rambo said:
That's really interesting, I wonder what the wheelchair looked like. I know it's not a laughing matter and please don't take this the wrong way but it just seems like an adorable thought seeing a small tort in a wheelchair. :) I'm glad your tortoise and turtles are healthy.

It was really funny and she didn't like it so much so when she outgrew it I didn't make her a new one and she seems to do okay. Her back legs drag a bit still and it takes her a long time to stand but she cruises the backyard and the house whenever she wants.
The wheelchair was basically two metal bars with tires from a grad as truck that were big enough to lift the shell up but short enough her legs dragged a bit so she had to move them. Then I used Velcro straps to attach the apparatus to her. Then a strap connecting the Velcro to make the other straps stay put. It was functional but looked redneck.
I have been debating some sort of wheelie bar though to keep her from flipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.