Status
Not open for further replies.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
A longtime keeper in a local group and myself were offering advice to a new keeper of a hatchling Greek tortoise.
I offered that I soak all my hatchlings of all the species I keep daily, and use a higher ambient humidity environment. Now I do this because it has always made sense to me that when your entire bodymass is roughly that of a quarter you will dehydrate rather quickly. Additionally, my reasoning is that most hatchlings spend large amounts of time burrowed where the ambient humidity level is generally much higher than the external temperature and humidity level.
Now the other keeper offered far different advice. Its a desert species, dont soak more than once a week. Etc.
But what gave me pause about this is that among her reasons for not soaking is fear of skin diseases from not being able to dry it thoroughly.
So here's the question. Assuming a healthy hatchling that is eating pooping and active. How many skin issues do tortoises really have? And of those how many are likely to arise from soaking?
I have soaked hatchlings daily for YEARS and have never once had an issue of any sort, including skin issues. Have I just dodged an inevitable bullet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been keeping turtles and tortoises for over 35 years, I've belonged to a club and attended meetings, I've subscribed to many, many turtle and tortoise newsletters and magazines. In all that time I've never heard of a skin disease from keeping a tortoise too moist.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
THANK YOU! I appreciate the confirmation of what I thought I knew. This person of course has never had a tortoise with a skin disease herself because she doesn't soak. Which is of course confirmation that she's right and in crazy. But then, i think she is seriously outdated and that other people may also have learned a few things about torts over the years. Apparently she has heard horrifying stories of Leopards especially that have this condition. I sooo want to post Tom's pics of his Leopards in veritable swampy conditions! But then I really don't want to be disrespectful either... sigh..

Status
Not open for further replies.