Tortoise died

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Well that so called vet is sacked.

I found an exotic vet(only 5miles from home) that did a post mortem. Found a blockage in the esophagus, which is likely the slug.
However he thinks the liver looked in an unhealthy state, it was totally grey in color. He wasn't sure if this is normal for this species or not. So sent samples of the liver and kidney to the labs for further examination.
I'm also getting fecal samples for the other 5 adults to be tested.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I don't believe the blockage of the esophagus was the cause of her demise. With her behavior in days prior, I'd be more inclined to think that her GI tract had been shutting down and that slug got lodged there was more a symptom of a greater issue rather the the cause of death in itself. I admit to ignorance in animal medicine, especially reptiles, but gray colored liver just doesn't make sense. In my simplistic reasoning liver among tons of other very complex functions, stores iron, and for that reason alone I don't think it should look gray. I guess you'll be learning some hard science facts in next week or so depending on how "official" that vet doing the post mortem is. That "gray liver" just bothers me. To me any "gray" color in human or animal tissue = dead tissue. Again I maybe wrong. Please share the necropsy findings when available. We are all learning from your painful experience

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Sounds like the cause of death was sort of a freak accident. Choking on a normal food item.
It is common for the pathologists to find many of the animals have multiple issues. They live with many with no apparent symptoms until something kills them. It is rare for a pathologist to find no cause of death but common to find several issues that combined push a animal over the edge.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
At the end of the day she is dead, no point dwelling. Kicking myself, but whats done is done. If we can all learn something from my bad experience, then thats to the good.
At the moment I feel it was a freak accident, and there has always been a seperate underlying problem with this tortoise. We will see.
What I want more than anything is confirmation that the high protein diet did not play a part in any health issues with this Tortoise. The vet reckons with tests they can diagnose if diet played a part. He's also pretty sure it didn't in this species because it's an omnivore.
I'm also hoping I've found myself a decent vet out of all this. He seemed to be asking me the right questions about care, temps/humitiy. Yeah he could have easily read up on this, but he didn't know until 5 minutes before I saw him what species it was. At least asking about humidity proves he's upto speed with basic modern care techniques.

Pearly

5 Year Member
At the end of the day she is dead, no point dwelling. Kicking myself, but whats done is done. If we can all learn something from my bad experience, then thats to the good.
At the moment I feel it was a freak accident, and there has always been a seperate underlying problem with this tortoise. We will see.
What I want more than anything is confirmation that the high protein diet did not play a part in any health issues with this Tortoise. The vet reckons with tests they can diagnose if diet played a part. He's also pretty sure it didn't in this species because it's an omnivore.
I'm also hoping I've found myself a decent vet out of all this. He seemed to be asking me the right questions about care, temps/humitiy. Yeah he could have easily read up on this, but he didn't know until 5 minutes before I saw him what species it was. At least asking about humidity proves he's upto speed with basic modern care techniques.
I just don't want you to beat yourself uup for contributing to her demise through whatever you did or did not do. I will too be very curious about the protein. My RFs (Tucker especially) seem to favor it over any other foods and once living outside more I'll have no control over how often/how much they take in. That does make me nervous and I'll be very curious to hear what your new vet's verdict on that is

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I agree that you are blameless in the death of this tortoise.
I have no fear/ issue with high protein tortoise diets. With their selective feeding in the wild I bet many people would be surprised by the protein intake of wild tortoises.

Kori5

So sorry, it sounds like a tragic accident. I really never heard an animal die from an blockage of the esophagus. But I have no medical experience so don't know if it happens. It just sounds scary as their way of eating is so different from ours.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Vet just phoned me and the test results showed high fat levels in the liver. Which could point to too much protein.
I explained to him what I feed. He says the damage may well have bin done before or maybe not. I told him the last owner fed cat food and he says to keep away from that and also try feeding more along the lines of insects and not just worms/slugs and snails.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Vet just phoned me and the test results showed high fat levels in the liver. Which could point to too much protein.
I explained to him what I feed. He says the damage may well have bin done before or maybe not. I told him the last owner fed cat food and he says to keep away from that and also try feeding more along the lines of insects and not just worms/slugs and snails.
why "insects"? And "not just worms/slugs/snails"? My babies eat snails daily outside bcs they are plentiful in my garden.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It was a really bad phone line and I couldn't hear half what he said. I'm going to go to the vets and talk face to face soon as I can.
He doesn't think what I'm feeding is incorrect, but there is high fats, either from previous owner or me. I'm assuming insects are not as high in fats, have you ever seen a fat pillbug or stick insect. Lol.
Need to find nutrition table on worms and slugs/snails.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also pearly. This tort spent nearly all day in the water bath since I had it, won't be falling for that again. I should have gone to vets 12months ago.

Pearly

5 Year Member
It was a really bad phone line and I couldn't hear half what he said. I'm going to go to the vets and talk face to face soon as I can.
He doesn't think what I'm feeding is incorrect, but there is high fats, either from previous owner or me. I'm assuming insects are not as high in fats, have you ever seen a fat pillbug or stick insect. Lol.
Need to find nutrition table on worms and slugs/snails.
I've just never thought about insects/worms in nutritional value categories. I'll be curious to know what you learn. My baby Tucker is especially partial to his protein (shrimp, egg, occ cat food threat, or hunting down snails by bushels every day while outside). He does eat his greens and some fruits, mushrooms, but I really have to watch him. Given free choice he'd go for his meat every time

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've just never thought about insects/worms in nutritional value categories. I'll be curious to know what you learn. My baby Tucker is especially partial to his protein (shrimp, egg, occ cat food threat, or hunting down snails by bushels every day while outside). He does eat his greens and some fruits, mushrooms, but I really have to watch him. Given free choice he'd go for his meat every time
What do you think he would be like in the wild in the undergrowth rummaging.
Worms are on par with eggs so I've read.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds to me like she had a pre-existing illness that came to a head when she passed away.

I really don't think it was because of you or the diet you fed her. It seems more likely to me that she had been fed an extremely fatty diet for a long time (cat food) and her body could not reverse the damage it had done to her organs, even with the good diet you had been feeding her. It just kept getting worse.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well after the vet advised me to feed more in the way of insects I did a bit of research and it seems that the calcium to phosphorous ratio is not good in insects, however this chart refers to night crawlers as good:confused:, can someone confirm to me what is classed as a nightcrawler, are slugs and snails? (Yes I know they dont crawl:D)
Check the calcium to phosphorous ratio in mealworms and wax worms compared to earthworms.

Screenshot_2016-08-18-12-05-38.png

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am very sorry about that pretty tortoise, Craig, but the thread is very interesting and informative.
I always thought that nightcrawler was just another name for earthworm, but clearly I am wrong.
Again, interesting.