Tortoise Diaries - Hatching failure syndrome? or Keeper failure syndrome?

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I have decided to document my journey with my little baby sulcata, who we are currently calling Pip. (by currently I mean we are using it as a place holder name until we know "his" gender)

I ordered him from Backwater Reptiles (mistake number 1) and he arrived on Febuary 12th. It has been three days since his arrival and already I feel like my life is now revolving around him. He arrived in horrible condition. He had poop all over his shell, not from his shipping container since there was no poop present, and he was dry and dehyrated with obvious signs of pyrimiding. He is at most 2 weeks old. He is my first tortoise so I didnt think much of it at first.

On day two I noticed he was lethargic and slept all day, as well as wouldnt eat unless the food was dangled over his head. He didnt struggle when I lifted him up, he made many vocal noises (which is a bad sign in sulcatas from what I've read), and his eyes kept swelling shut. I was soaking him, his temps were 80, his humidity a little low but still there, and I was attempting to feed him a grass based diet. By that I mean I kept offering grasses but he would only eat store bought greens.

I came to tortoise forum and based off of his symptoms and the history of Backwater Reptiles people diagnosed him with Hatching Failure Syndrome. I freaked out and immidiatly went out to buy him a better basking bulb, a heat mat, and more thermometers to measure his temps. I brought his basking temp up to around 100 and raised the humidity to 80%. I also gave him more soaks and love.

Today he is active and seems completly healthy. He is wandering around his cage and has almost stopped squeaking and such. So that brings me to my question. Does he really have hatching failure syndrome or did he have "keeper failure syndrome". Does anyone really know?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think at this point, attaching blame is a secondary to Pip's welfare, and will only serve to distract you from his care.

Get the temp and humidity of his enclosure (I'm using your pronoun) up into the mid-80s, soak him once or twice a day in warm water, get him eating (and if he won't, you can try soaking him in a 50/50 mix of carrot and/or yam babyfood and warm water) ... torts are tough little beasts, if this doesn't help him, he probably couldn't be helped.

It sounds as though he's already improving, but I'd caution you against stopping the aggressive support ... also, you mention giving him "love", if this is what's been detailed above, that's great; if it's lots of handling, probably better to leave him alone and give him some quiet/alone time in his enclosure as lots of contact so soon after coming to live with you may be a source of stress, which he doesn't need.

Best wishes for Pip's speedy recovery!

Jamie

Kansas
Ok so I'll keep up with the treament until im sure he is better. Thanks. And by love i did mean lots of care without too much handling.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Ok so I'll keep up with the treament until im sure he is better. Thanks. And by love i did mean lots of care without too much handling.

It sounds like you're doing a good job ... take my advice for what it's worth, I'm still a newbie in the tort world.

J

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Hatchling failure syndrome is usually a result of bad breeder hatching and care before selling.
I would keep up what your doing and give 2 soaks a day for a year. Then down to 1 a day until s/he is 2 then you can do every other day.
Be sure to try and get things as stable as possible. I dont want to scare you but a lot of these babies from a bad breeder and start can appear to be fine and then have problems later and fail to thrive and pass. That's why I think its really important for the 2 times a day soaks.
Timers and thermostats for heat and lights help to keep things regulated and correct.
Good luck and keep us posted