Hatchling failure syndrome

Leonardthetortoise!

Location (City and/or State)
Savannah
Hey everybody so I think my baby leopard tortoise has hatchling failure syndrome unfortunately and my question is is there anything I can do or is it just a waiting game for these guys?

his habitat temps are 40-80% humidity throughout the day and his cold temp never drops below 80 degrees and his hot side is around 90 to 95 he has a humid hide and his light is a 100 watt iridescent bulb and a t8 uvb strip light. I soak him everyday tokeep him hydrated and he does seem to eat some grass and flowers occasionally.

any advice would be great thank you

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
First, weigh him on a kitchen scale. Please weigh him in grams.

How old is he to the best of your knowledge?

He lives alone, right? Not with another tortoise?

When you soak, make a mixture...1/2 water, 1/2 unflavored pedialyte, and add some pureed or strained carrot baby food.
When he soaks, hopefully he will drink some to add more nutrition.

Be especially vigilant about those temps. Make sure you are measuring at tortoise height with a temp gun or probe thermometer, just not with a stick on one.

Why do you think he is failing? What are the signs and symptoms? How are his eyes?

Gosh! I hope he can pull through! How about a few pics? Include one from above him and one taken from below him.

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah

When you soak, make a mixture...1/2 water, 1/2 unflavored pedialyte, and add some pureed or strained carrot baby food.

Be especially vigilant about those temps. Make sure you are measuring at tortoise height with a temp gun or probe thermometer, just not with a stick on one.

Why do you think he is failing? What are the signs and symptoms? How are his eyes?

Gosh! I hope he can pull through! How about a few pics? Include one from above him and one taken from below him.

Hi, yes he lives alone. And I actually weighed him today he weighed 29 grams. He is around 8 or maybe 12 weeks. I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago and they gave him calcium shots and antibiotics because he was lethargic and his eye where staying shut and his shell was a little soft and after that he started getting a little better eating more his eyes were opened and stuff but just the last couple days he is back to not really eating and his eyes are staying shut. I will try the bath soaks I will add pics of him when I get home!
Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, yes he lives alone. And I actually weighed him today he weighed 29 grams. He is around 8 or maybe 12 weeks. I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago and they gave him calcium shots and antibiotics because he was lethargic and his eye where staying shut and his shell was a little soft and after that he started getting a little better eating more his eyes were opened and stuff but just the last couple days he is back to not really eating and his eyes are staying shut. I will try the bath soaks I will add pics of him when I get home!
Thank you
That sounds like the typical signs, unfortunately. Where did you buy him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise town
Ouch. Sorry man.

This doesn't sound good, but you just never know. Some of them pull through. All you can do is try.

You'll know next time to find a breeder that starts them correctly. The proper start makes such a huge difference.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so, so sorry. It probably is a waiting game.

But don't give up on him! Now and then one pulls through!

A vet won't be able to help him. His fate is already determined. He'll either make it or he won't. All you can do is support him and let him know he is loved.

Reactions: Tom

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
I'm so, so sorry. It probably is a waiting game.

But don't give up on him! Now and then one pulls through!

A vet won't be able to help him. His fate is already determined. He'll either make it or he won't. All you can do is support him and let him know he is loved.
Thank you for the tips and I will do everything I can to give him a fighting chance

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
Ouch. Sorry man.

This doesn't sound good, but you just never know. Some of them pull through. All you can do is try.

You'll know next time to find a breeder that starts them correctly. The proper start makes such a huge difference.
Thank you I will just keep trying with him and hope he pulls through and buy from better breeders next time now that I know how they are started is so important

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah

Hey I just wanted to hop on here and give you an update!! I know he isn’t out of the woods by any mean but I have been giving him those soaks in the Pedialyte and baby food carrots and just in the last three to four days I have seen a huge improvement he is active his eyes are open he is eating his food and he has gain weight as well. I know he isn’t out of the woods yet but at least he is feeling better Thank you!!! And here is some pics of him

6C15FAD0-AFA6-4989-961C-3E0F55DFC548.jpegDFDAA313-068A-48A3-8573-6D5E9D7E2E79.jpeg

Reactions: Ink

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Hey I just wanted to hop on here and give you an update!! I know he isn’t out of the woods by any mean but I have been giving him those soaks in the Pedialyte and baby food carrots and just in the last three to four days I have seen a huge improvement he is active his eyes are open he is eating his food and he has gain weight as well. I know he isn’t out of the woods yet but at least he is feeling better Thank you!!! And here is some pics of him

View attachment 294747View attachment 294748
Have you tried feeding him some mixed greens and dandelion greens? Babies won't eat grass a lot of the time, mine is a year and just starting to eat grass, he wouldn't touch it when he was younger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

That is good news. Are you weighing him weekly? This will be your best indicator of how things are going. Steady gain and passing that 50 gram mark will be a great sign that things are okay.

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
That is good news. Are you weighing him weekly? This will be your best indicator of how things are going. Steady gain and passing that 50 gram mark will be a great sign that things are okay.
I have been weighing him like twice a week and so far he has gained three grams since the last time I weighed him

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I gave my new to me 4 or 5 year old Eastern Hermann carrot soaks. He was slow and didn't seem right. Now he is doing great!! I have jars of carrots in my pantry just in case one of my tortoises falls ill. Thanks @Yvonne G !

Fish Breath

NY
Hmmm...you’ve done a good thing mate! Keep him healthy! Weigh him more! I’ll look forward to more posts! Btw, he might actually behave differently, which is good, sometimes. He might already be trained because of this!!!!! Nice job!