Tortoise Browsing Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Here is an interesting photo. This is a malva (Malva neglecta) from my Greek tortoise pen. Malva is a common weed here, and is well adapted to browsing pressure. Nearly all the herbivores that feed on malva are large and the plant is adapted to grow downward and make smaller leaves after being browsed upon. The more repeated the browsing, the more intense the affect gets.
I live in the Central Valley of California, a huge farming area, and these plants are also adapted to flail mowers in the orchards. Like herbivore browsing, the response is to grow low and downward, while making smaller "less expensive" leaves.
These plants have no ability to handle upward browsing. In my pen, the tortoises eat in the opposite direction from what the plant is adapted to deal with. The plant can't discern where the browsing is coming from, just how to respond.
In consequence, this plant looks like an african savannah tree! It constantly is trying to grow downward with the tiniest of leaves, which are promptly nipped off by this non-native invader!
IMG_1266s.jpg

This plant is the same species, but it gets routinely "walked down" and stripped of it's leaves. The tortoise climbs it from the stem, weighting it down to the ground, then eats all the leaves off. Does anyone else's tortoises do that? Mine seem to be little monkeys sometimes with where they dare to climb!
IMG_1265s.jpg

The pen after a summers overgrazing.
IMG_1245s.jpg

Some of the culprits.
IMG_1224s.jpg

IMG_1249s.jpg

IMG_1213s.jpg

IMG_1261s.jpg

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Wow, interesting about the malva. That is quite a little colony you have there, they all look very happy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Plants amaze me....and boy I am happy to see that my guys yards are not the only ones looking tired by this time....:p

That is a happy healthy looking group :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This has been a very interesting thread! Now I want to find this plant and watch it. :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
68merc said:
Where can I dig some up? Im in north Fresno.

It would be pretty hard to transplant one now. This winter, it will be growing everywhere in cultivated areas, roadsides, empty lots, or any weedy areas. Its called malva, cheeseweed, mallow, buttonweed, etc. If you find some now, collect the little pinwheel seedpods, and break them up all over your tortoise pens. They will sprout and grow while your torts hibernate.

Steve

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is very interesting! I will try to find some seeds to winter over in my enclosure.
But more importantly, does anyone else see a face on the back shell of the tort stacked on top of the others in the foutth photo?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wonder if we have any in Nebraska?

lynnedit said:
But more importantly, does anyone else see a face on the back shell of the tort stacked on top of the others in the foutth photo?

Here I thought I was the only weird person who noticed things like in tortoises shells! :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
lynnedit said:

Ha! I never noticed it. He looks like a gremlin! That's Atlas, he's the little guy, at 5 3/8 inches long. A good climber, though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great thread Steve. I learned something new today. All of my torts live on mallow for a good 5 months a year. It grows like crazy here. I either get really tall 4' bushes or they graze it down to the nub before it takes off.

Here's the one we get:
2q24ges.jpg

Love your torts. Great group.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
two eyes and kinda a nostril/two hole nose....and the tail kinda like a tongue....hahaha I love it...thanks for planting that suggestion, I did not see it the first time round till you suggested it..fun stuff....

Tomorrow I will take pic of the Apricot Mallows that carpet our 1.25 acre property....our torts love the bright orange cup flowers..LOVE EM.... it is interesting to see the multiple types of this mallow....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
This has been a very interesting thread! Now I want to find this plant and watch it. :D

I'm not sure, but you may know it as "mallow" or "cheese weed."

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
supremelysteve said:
68merc said:
Where can I dig some up? Im in north Fresno.

It would be pretty hard to transplant one now. This winter, it will be growing everywhere in cultivated areas, roadsides, empty lots, or any weedy areas. Its called malva, cheeseweed, mallow, buttonweed, etc. If you find some now, collect the little pinwheel seedpods, and break them up all over your tortoise pens. They will sprout and grow while your torts hibernate.

Steve

I take that back, if you find some small ones in a well watered area, you should be able to still transplant them now, just use a shovel and keep lots of the dirt. I saw plenty of new ones in an orchard yesterday afternoon, growing like weeds! They are pretty hardy weeds, and hard to kill.

ascott said:
Tomorrow I will take pic of the Apricot Mallows that carpet our 1.25 acre property....our torts love the bright orange cup flowers..LOVE EM.... it is interesting to see the multiple types of this mallow....

I'm jealous of your apricot mallows. I ordered some seeds last fall, but none of them sprouted. They are CA natives, and I'd like them to replace my common mallows eventually.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Steve...I have attached here a doc you may find helpful in cultivating the apricot mallow...go to page 5....also have here pic of one of my more compact mallows near my front porch for fun.....keep in mind each plant only has a life span of 2-3 years...so once you get em going then if nature is left to do its thing you should eventually get a fiery orange crop of em :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
ascott said:
Steve...I have attached here a doc you may find helpful in cultivating the apricot mallow...go to page 5....also have here pic of one of my more compact mallows near my front porch for fun.....keep in mind each plant only has a life span of 2-3 years...so once you get em going then if nature is left to do its thing you should eventually get a fiery orange crop of em :D
Thanks ascott,
If I get more seeds, I'll try pouring boiling water over them. I didn't know they needed heat treatment to rest-break.

Status
Not open for further replies.