Tortoise at dog park, but separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobtech

5 Year Member
Ok hear me out. My local dog park has an extra gated off area that no one uses. Is this a good idea? I just thought it was a way of not having to move the tortoise every time he gets moving toward the street or parking lot. The gated area has grass and shade. Any thoughts? It is in temecula, ca and if you are close it would be nice to meet others around here.

I have a sulcata and a few desert tortoises. I would only be taking one tortoise at a time to the park.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My first thought was for you to find out if the park service ever uses chemicals on the grass. And the next thought I had was...can you imagine those dogs when they get a look at moving rocks across the fence? It would drive them CRAZY!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would also worry that if dogs do ever go in the other area, and poop, that there may be residue from heartworm meds on the grass. It is deadly to tortoises.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
I would also worry that if dogs do ever go in the other area, and poop, that there may be residue from heartworm meds on the grass. It is deadly to tortoises.

My very first thought!

emysemys said:
My first thought was for you to find out if the park service ever uses chemicals on the grass.

... and my second thought!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How funny would that look....like a rhinestone covered harness adorning a tort on a walk about in the park...LOL

As cute as that would be.....I don't think it would realistically be safe.....I would not :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I see no reason to risk it.. also all the strangers seeing your torts.. following you home and stealing them...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I had the same thoughts as Yvonne and Kristina. I would not take my torts.

mobtech

5 Year Member
Thank you for the responses. You have provided some things to think about.

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
ascott said:
How funny would that look....like a rhinestone covered harness adorning a tort on a walk about in the park...LOL

As cute as that would be.....I don't think it would realistically be safe.....I would not :D

I was thinking about the harness myself! Funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.