Mosquito spraying

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
Last night, in NYC, authorities sprayed for mosquitoes to combat West Nile virus. They administered the spray by dropping it from an airplane. I was wondering if I should refrain from feeding my tortoise any weeds from outside for a certain time period. I grow my own in my backyard, but mostly, I feed my tortoise weeds that I pick from a desolate area in a local park.

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This used to be a regular occurrence here in the Central VAlley of Calif. About once a month the plane would fly over and drop pesticide to kill mosquitos. I always wondered if it affects grazing animals, but I live in a very rural area and there are many, many herds of cattle and horses all over the valley. If the pesticide they sprayed was ok for all the animals grazing here, I figured it would probably be ok for my tortoises. They don't spray anymore, but when they did, I never brought any tortoises in and I never had one be poisoned.

If it's just a matter of picking a few weeds, you can always just wash them off before you feed.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
This used to be a regular occurrence here in the Central VAlley of Calif. About once a month the plane would fly over and drop pesticide to kill mosquitos. I always wondered if it affects grazing animals, but I live in a very rural area and there are many, many herds of cattle and horses all over the valley. If the pesticide they sprayed was ok for all the animals grazing here, I figured it would probably be ok for my tortoises. They don't spray anymore, but when they did, I never brought any tortoises in and I never had one be poisoned.

If it's just a matter of picking a few weeds, you can always just wash them off before you feed.

Okay, that makes me feel much better. I just wasn't sure and wanted to be careful in not harming my little one. I usually wash the weeds off anyway, so I'll continue to do that.

Thanks!