Tort habitat. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
This is my torts winter home. It's 4'x2' and he is about 4" long. I use a mix of coco coir, and cypress substrate. Humidity stays at about 45, heat ranges between 65-80 depending on where he's at. I use a slate tile as a feeding/basking area (it also helps keep his nails trim) it is also nice because it keeps the substrate out of his food. I use an empty wipe all bucket for his hide, and he uses hay and stringy bark from the cypress mix in one of the corners to burrow in. Any more suggestions? I've had him almost 3 weeks now :)

Attachments

• image-1236706850.png
    image-1236706850.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I would put his food right on the slate.....easier for him to get to and a terra cotta saucer for his water dish so he can get his whole self in there....Also what is your basking temp? 95-100?? that is where it should be the other temps are great. I've had my girl for 3 months now and these were the tips I received when I first got her. Just a note though having the food under the basking light will cause it to dry out faster.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those food and water bowls they sell in the pet shops might be ok for lizards, but they're really no good for tortoises. It's pretty hard for a tortoise to raise his head up over the lip of the bowl, then down again to the food. His shell just makes it difficult for him. Also, the water bowl is too small, and baby tortoises sometimes tip over backwards when trying to climb over the lip. Get a plant saucer either plastic or terra cotta and sink it down into the substrate so the edge of the saucer is even with the top of the substrate. Feed right on the tile. You can place the tile right up against the corner of the tank so only two sides are touching the substrate. Then you might bury some smooth stones on those two edges to further keep the substrate off the tile.

You might just try to get used to dirty water and food. It's a tortoises lot in life and it doesn't seem to bother them nearly as much as it bothers us.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
Eloise's mommy said:
I would put his food right on the slate.....easier for him to get to and a terra cotta saucer for his water dish so he can get his whole self in there....Also what is your basking temp? 95-100?? that is where it should be the other temps are great. I've had my girl for 3 months now and these were the tips I received when I first got her. Just a note though having the food under the basking light will cause it to dry out faster.

Thanks for the tips about the basking temp! I was worried that would be TOO hot, but if that's what they are used to I will move his lamp a bit closer and that should make it Warmer :) And I only give him 10-15 minutes to eat in the morning and 10 in the evening, and then I take what's left(if there's ever any left LOL) otherwise he eats all day hahaha!!! So his food isn't there all day. He doesn't seem to have issues getting his food, i have it in the dish because the coco coir kept getting all over it and he was eating it :/ but definitely going to get a terra cotta dish for water. Thanks a tonnnn! :))) really appreciate it!!! :D

emysemys said:
Those food and water bowls they sell in the pet shops might be ok for lizards, but they're really no good for tortoises. It's pretty hard for a tortoise to raise his head up over the lip of the bowl, then down again to the food. His shell just makes it difficult for him. Also, the water bowl is too small, and baby tortoises sometimes tip over backwards when trying to climb over the lip. Get a plant saucer either plastic or terra cotta and sink it down into the substrate so the edge of the saucer is even with the top of the substrate. Feed right on the tile. You can place the tile right up against the corner of the tank so only two sides are touching the substrate. Then you might bury some smooth stones on those two edges to further keep the substrate off the tile.

You might just try to get used to dirty water and food. It's a tortoises lot in life and it doesn't seem to bother them nearly as much as it bothers us.

Great tips thanks!!! Didn't even think of putting the tile completely against the walls of the cage! And I will definitely get his water dish out and will test out putting the food on the slate once I move it against the wall :) is the coco coir harmful if ingested? That's all I was concerned about, he never eats the cypress, it's just the coco coir that sticks to his food

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, as long as the tortoise is well-hydrated, coco coir won't harm him if he eats some. It's not toxic, and it doesn't cause impaction.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
No, as long as the tortoise is well-hydrated, coco coir won't harm him if he eats some. It's not toxic, and it doesn't cause impaction.

Okay :) as long as its safe I will jut put his food on the tile then :) thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.