New russian tort owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo1

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!!

I'd like to start out by saying that before I purchased my tort I did a lot of reading and found comments on this forum and the information from russiantortoise.net to be the most helpful and informative.

As of 4-5 weeks ago a got my russian tortoise that I have named Leonardo. I've built him a roughly 4'x2' table with a water hole and a hideout. I am using cypress mulch as bedding and plan on experimenting with his bedding a little more like coconut coir, soil, or sand and maybe some good mixes if anyone has any good suggestions. For now i have been feeding him spring mix greens daily, artichoke, brusselsprouts, and the occasional carrot or cherry tomato as a treat. I originally soaked him every day for the first 2 weeks but now I reduced it to about every other day. As for lighting I'm using a 100w heat lamp and a reptiglo 5.0 UVB lamp

I'm in the New England area of the U.S and am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can build an outdoor inclosure and start planting/growing more of a variety of greens and weeds.

Any and all suggestion are welcome if anyone feels I'm missing something!! Please :)ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363658521.824906.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363658533.203433.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363658553.853900.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363658578.469631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome:) nice looking tort. The set up sounds good. Remember, don't use sand by itself, causes impaction. However you can mix it with plain dirt or coconut coir, 20% sand. I would add a few plants to the enclosure. Will give him something to climb in, under or eat. Also makes them feel more secure and makes the enclosure more natural.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Maybe its just makes me but his enclosure looks a bit small for him. Its also a little boring. Maybe put plants, rocks...etc..

leonardo1

5 Year Member
I agree about the enclosure being small but this was just a quick build with building material I had around the house. I'm definitely looking to see what I could put in there as far as plants or terrain for him.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
I mix cypress and coco coir together and it makes an awesome bedding! Keeps the humidity, but stays out of his food and eyes and he can still dig in it :) I also put small bunches of hay in the corners of his house, he loves to hide under it :) watch though because it molds easy!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! I always love hearing that a new owner did research before making the purchase! Well done you!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I too would like to add plants to my Russians enclosure. Should I only include ONLY edible plants or are there plants that he won't even try to eat that will allow for a more fun environment??

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would suggest only adding edible plants. But there are plenty that are good.

leonardo1

5 Year Member
Great ideas. I can't wait to try to mix his bedding. Any ideas on good starter plants to put in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.