Tort flipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
This morning while checking my desert torts pen I found my bigger one (about 11 inches) flipped over.
I'm not sure how long she was flipped,she did urinate & defecated all over herself. I washed her and soaked her right away, she seems fine now but is there anything I should watch for and could this affect her health if it keeps happening?

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
This happened to my Tyrone, you did the same thing I did soak right away ... I got a deferent hide for him, because he was climbing onto his log and that is how he flipped.

Just make sure they are eating, drinking and soaking ... Tyrone is fine. And I am sure yours will be too!

I am sure the experts on here will weigh in! ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your tort is behaving "business as usual" then you likely caught the stunt man in time before the bad can happen....and if he had done big business all over himself, likely he had been there a bit and it is good for him you came upon him...especially in this crazy heat....

I have found the big CDTs here on their back from time to time...but not so much any longer....however, that I believe is the only thing that sits in the back of my mind during the hot months....soaking is essential after a roll over so you did good.....:D

I have a stunt man here my self that likes to leap off of the top of one of his hides, no matter what I do (he will man handle his way to get to the top and will literally face plant off of the thing---it is a dirt mountain so when he hits the dirt he will either tuck and slide or will actually face plant then roll and get on up and keep trucking....he use to do this to me (I am sure in the grown up logical world, not on purpose, but in my mind with this particular guy---I am convinced he figured if he did this while I was making the walk from the house to his yard he could get me there quicker if he looked like he was going to do this---as I would always get to moving to stop him, now I don't fall for his mental demands and I see what happens when I don't and he seems to not do it as often...lol)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
My Toby always seems to find his way on his back..

He loves to climb, loves to leap off of things...

Poor fellow, he looks so cute and innocent on his back.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
My Toby always seems to find his way on his back..

He loves to climb, loves to leap off of things...

Poor fellow, he looks so cute and innocent on his back.

I know the danger is they can die if on their backs to long, the weight of their body crushes their organs and they can't breath, they also get very stressed struggling to get flipped back over. I would remove anything that poses the danger of them climbing and flipping over!

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
Thanks guys, it scared me more than anything.
She's acting fine now just ate and did her butt dance as I was spraying her with the hose lol.
Going to add on another layer of cinder blocks in her pen when get we some extra money.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about the DT's . I wonder though, are more then one suppose to be kept together? If you have more then one, could it have been another tort bullying and flip her? Just a thought.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
wellington said:
I don't know anything about the DT's . I wonder though, are more then one suppose to be kept together? If you have more then one, could it have been another tort bullying and flip her? Just a thought.

I have two females the bigger one which flipped and then her daughter.
They get along great no bullying ever. Brutus just likes to explore the yard whenever she wants to but her daughter is half her size and could easily go between one of the wood planks on the other side of the yard. Their enclosure
is 2 cinder blocks high but Brutus is an amazing climber and is very stubborn lol

Status
Not open for further replies.