Franekn

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol uk
I am going away for a couple days soon
And am worried about my tortoise (Tortellini) as recently she has flipped herself on her back and am worried she will do it when I am away
So what I am asking does anyone have any suggestions for a small compact cheap security camera that will keep an eye on her for when she does this I can notify my neighbour to help her.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am going away for a couple days soon
And am worried about my tortoise (Tortellini) as recently she has flipped herself on her back and am worried she will do it when I am away
So what I am asking does anyone have any suggestions for a small compact cheap security camera that will keep an eye on her for when she does this I can notify my neighbour to help her.
Are you in Bristol UK? It may help to specify so you get recommendations for cameras in the right country.
Also remove anything in the enclosure that your tort is climbing on that makes her tip. If you post a picture of the enclosure members can help identify problem spots.

Franekn

Bristol uk
Are you in Bristol UK? It may help to specify so you get recommendations for cameras in the right country.
Also remove anything in the enclosure that your tort is climbing on that makes her tip. If you post a picture of the enclosure members can help identify problem spots.
yeah I’m in Bristol, Uk. As of the enclosure there nothing she can flip herself on because I moved the things she was flipping herself on. Recently she has flipped herself on what I think was the enclosures wall but I wasn’t there when it happened that’s why I am worrying. She hasn’t done it a while but I still want a camera just in case and as a precaution.
I will attach a picture of the enclosure so you can help any further.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
yeah I’m in Bristol, Uk. As of the enclosure there nothing she can flip herself on because I moved the things she was flipping herself on. Recently she has flipped herself on what I think was the enclosures wall but I wasn’t there when it happened that’s why I am worrying. She hasn’t done it a while but I still want a camera just in case and as a precaution.
I use the wyze pan V3 camera it works great. Also you should lower those temp sensors to top of shell height. Current enclosure picture from the camera. Screenshot_20240222_123755_Wyze.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is your tort a Russian (Horsefield)? They are known for being great escape artists which are great climbers and love to dig.
I'm guessing she's only a baby, so sinking the water/food dishes level with the substrate will make it easier for your tort to access and exit and help avoid a possible tipping/drowning hazard. Also maybe try putting something along the bottom of the glass so she can't see out - that may stop her trying her to climb to get out.
You could make the substrate deeper and moister for her to dig into. Is it coco coir?
Also adding some plants will also make her feel more secure too, but - if you can - use cuttings or well established plants that you know are chemical free. Shop bought plants need to be repotted in safe soil and left for at least a year to allow for any fertilisers, pesticides etc. to grow out before you can use them.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
You could leave them in pots and sink that in the substrate which makes it easier to swap them in and out if nibbled or bulldozed.

Franekn

Bristol uk
Is your tort a Russian (Horsefield)? They are known for being great escape artists which are great climbers and love to dig.
I'm guessing she's only a baby, so sinking the water/food dishes level with the substrate will make it easier for your tort to access and exit and help avoid a possible tipping/drowning hazard. Also maybe try putting something along the bottom of the glass so she can't see out - that may stop her trying her to climb to get out.
You could make the substrate deeper and moister for her to dig into. Is it coco coir?
Also adding some plants will also make her feel more secure too, but - if you can - use cuttings or well established plants that you know are chemical free. Shop bought plants need to be repotted in safe soil and left for at least a year to allow for any fertilisers, pesticides etc. to grow out before you can use them.
You could leave them in pots and sink that in the substrate which makes it easier to swap them in and out if nibbled or bulldozed.
Yes it is coco coir. She is a western Hermann tortoise and is around 6 months old

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
I too use a Wyze v3 color with night vision camera. It’s $25.99 on Amazon and allows me to glimpse via my cell phone at my leopard tortoise baby on the one day I travel into NYC for work. There is nothing as satisfying as watching the little guy get up and head over to his food bowl while I’m in the middle of a meeting. Nice camera for the price.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.png
    IMG_1303.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 3

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I was curious to see if Mojo actually was sleeping the whole time he was in his cave it's about 50/50 but there's a blink camera in there. He's sleeping of course right now. Screenshot_20240223_225737_Blink.jpg

Franekn

Bristol uk
Can you recommend any plants to use ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you recommend any plants to use ?
Spider plants are a good. Do you know anyone who has any well established chemical free plants they can donate or give you cuttings from?
See also www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for ideas - but bear in mind what I said about shop bought plants and the chemicals above.