Tort First timer!

danipaul71

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska
I can't believe how active this little guy was today, and how much he ate and drank!! SO CUTE!!!
He surely loves succulants and baby pea greens!! Didn't touch the mazuri I had in there, not sure I blame him though.
I'm pretty sure he has wandered every inch of his enclosure - a few times, and found his favorite basking spot.... on top of his hide.
I even saw him in his water dish 4-5 times, drinking. Can't believe how cute and curious he is. Doesn't like any noise though, and given I have a 7 year old girl..... there's no shortage of noise and talking here!20150707_110708.jpg20150707_105810.jpg20150707_105810.jpg 20150707_180632.jpg

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
He hasn't been quite as active as yesterday.. He did just inhale about a third of his pile of spring greens though. haven't noticed any poops yet, either. How often is that supposed to happen? And he does a goofy head nod thing.. Not sure what that's all about?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
He hasn't been quite as active as yesterday.. He did just inhale about a third of his pile of spring greens though. haven't noticed any poops yet, either. How often is that supposed to happen? And he does a goofy head nod thing.. Not sure what that's all about?

It may take him few days to adjust to his new surroundings and get "regular". My Leopards both usually poop during their daily morning soaks. Occasionally they won't, but then theres always a poop stashed somewhere in the enclosure later on in the day.

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
Some days he is more active and hungry than others. I've noticed that he eats much more in the morning - after his soaking, and then he goes to a corner (not hide) and what looks like he's pouting, for any given amount of time - then makes his way to his hide. Usually tends to be in his water after lights out.
His shell is still beautiful and hard, and has only had 1 BM since arriving on Tuesday.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
He could be pooping somewhere else and maybe you aren't seeing it? When mine were that small it was really hard to find if they went somewhere other than in their bath water.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The head nod is just your tort breathing.

Poop can be very hard to find especially for small torts.... and sometimes they eat it which sounds disgusting but is actually OK too.

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
I look everywhere in there for it. But this morning, he did it 3 times, so I know there isnt an issue. He's doing good so far - somedays he goes and goes, and others he seems to need to recoop.

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
Well friends, we welcomed another little bundle to our home this week! After a shipping nightmare (apparently fed ex doesn't think priority overnight needs to be such that), and took 3 days to arrive safely. Morla has arrived.
She is a Yvonne/Will production and as cute as ever! Ate literally (nearly) ALL DAY yesterday -could have been from the 3 days spent in a box - but nonetheless, we love her already.
Can't wait to add a third, or more to our group, so for now, the one pic was just for size comparison to our Leonardo (about 3mos, and seems to be growing a bit slow). Morla is about 5 weeks (or so). I should start weighing, but they seem healthy, and happy, so I just haven't done it yet....

20150813_095627-jpg.143561

20150813_191253-jpg.143562

Attachments

• 20150813_095627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150813_191253.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20150813_102157.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So cute. I love watching (on the Forum) "my" babies grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Will starts them out right. You can't go wrong. I noticed one of my females digging last night as I was 'closing up shop.' So first thing this a.m. I'll take out a spoon and bowl and dig up more eggs!

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
I will be on pins and needles waiting for them . And hope shipping goes much better next time...
Until then, we will love up these two ❤