Tort Enclosures, Ventilation vs. Humidity

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
I mean 30-50% is what I've read is good for an ambient for Russians with higher humidity in moist hides.
I live in Georgia, in the US, I'm not 100% sure what our usual humidity is, but I know it's pretty high in the summers.
I am thinking I may very well try to replicate a natural habitat as much as possible for him. I'm considering doing a very large tortoise table set up with regular misting/watering, moist hides, and possibly fully planting it with grass and edible weeds.

Humid hides help but they dont make up for lack of humidity in general. 50-70% is more appropriate for a russian in captivity, they can tolerate lower as adults but it isnt great for them, 30-50 is the same old stuff about them being desert animals etc. . .

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Humid hides help but they dont make up for lack of humidity in general. 50-70% is more appropriate for a russian in captivity, they can tolerate lower as adults but it isnt great for them, 30-50 is the same old stuff about them being desert animals etc. . .
I made this same mistake early on with my Russian (i.e. 30-50% humidity). Now that I have an enclosed chamber, it's easy to keep the humidity up and it has made a world of difference in his carapace and skin. He doesn't look dried out and doesn't have as much flaking skin, thus I can soak less times per week. I also have a lot less maintenance with the environment to deal with. I have had both open topped and closed environments. After building the enclosed PVC chamber, I'll never go back.

nootnootbu

USA
I made this same mistake early on with my Russian (i.e. 30-50% humidity). Now that I have an enclosed chamber, it's easy to keep the humidity up and it has made a world of difference in his carapace and skin. He doesn't look dried out and doesn't have as much flaking skin, thus I can soak less times per week. I also have a lot less maintenance with the environment to deal with. I have had both open topped and closed environments. After building the enclosed PVC chamber, I'll never go back.

I will probably eventually do a closed chamber for him then. I'm currently doing everything I can to just increase humidity for him and give daily soaks. I did notice his shell is very rough looking, and I think that's because previous owners had him on DRY coconut husks. Literally, just the dry powder, no moisture at all.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I will probably eventually do a closed chamber for him then. I'm currently doing everything I can to just increase humidity for him and give daily soaks. I did notice his shell is very rough looking, and I think that's because previous owners had him on DRY coconut husks. Literally, just the dry powder, no moisture at all.
Yup...I'm guilty of that too. Ground walnut hulls. ??‍♀️

nootnootbu

USA
Yup...I'm guilty of that too. Ground walnut hulls. ??‍♀️

I'm not much better, when I first got him, all the guides I read said to keep him dry. The only thing I've been doing right on that front is the daily soaks, though I did choose a less dry substrate for him, and I do feed him nice moist salad. He has a really good appetite, but he does seem a little lazy. I don't know if anything is wrong with him aside from that, he just doesn't seem super active, but I also read they can sleep from 18-22 hours a day.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you have a basement? I'm in north GA and I've found the basement to be the best room for the enclosures because its a lot more humid down there than the house.

nootnootbu

USA
Do you have a basement? I'm in north GA and I've found the basement to be the best room for the enclosures because its a lot more humid down there than the house.

Not yet, but I am planning to move and buy a house in the near future, so I will keep that in mind and look for one with a finished basement.

ClydeSheldon

Maine
I have 1 Russian, 3 sulcatas, and 4 yearling red foots. I can probably swap the red foots to a closed enclosure pretty easily. Is there a good way to make sure they have adequate ventilation in an enclosed space?

Or, alternately,could I simply provide them with humid/enclosed hides while having a larger open enclosure?
I have a redfoot in a 2-story table (made with wire grid shelving units and coroplast floor/walls). To keep up the heat and humidity, I actually got a 6’x6’ pop up greenhouse to enclose his table, and it’s in his own room. I have his heat lamps, che’s, and a hot steam humidifier going in there, all on a thermostat. I also have some spider plants and a mister in there. It seems to be working well. And I have a vortex heater/fan inside that comes in intermittently to move the air around. I vented the greenhouse in a few places, and the door is flipped open so he can come and go as he pleases. It’s a big set up, but I think it works well for him.

nootnootbu

USA
I have a redfoot in a 2-story table (made with wire grid shelving units and coroplast floor/walls). To keep up the heat and humidity, I actually got a 6’x6’ pop up greenhouse to enclose his table, and it’s in his own room. I have his heat lamps, che’s, and a hot steam humidifier going in there, all on a thermostat. I also have some spider plants and a mister in there. It seems to be working well. And I have a vortex heater/fan inside that comes in intermittently to move the air around. I vented the greenhouse in a few places, and the door is flipped open so he can come and go as he pleases. It’s a big set up, but I think it works well for him.
This sounds like a wonderful idea! Definitely a great way to increase humidity in a larger area. Thank you.

Dcatalano

Colorado
Trying to heat and humidify an open topped table is like trying to heat your home in winter with no roof on it. Its doesn't work. On a cold winter night, do you close your windows and doors, and run the heater? Do you suffocate?

If the room temp and humidity is suitable for your species, as in the case of your adult Russian, then a large open table is great. The sulcatas need warm temps and high humidity with a basking lamp. The RFs need constant warmth and humidity with no gradient or basking lamp. There is not a one-size-fits-all temperature for keeping these three species.
What humidity is ideal for an adult Russian? I have a table set up and can enclose it a bit more to maintain higher humidity if needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What humidity is ideal for an adult Russian? I have a table set up and can enclose it a bit more to maintain higher humidity if needed.
I don't worry about humidity with adults Russians. I offer them humid hides, damp substrates, and fresh water in an appropriate bowl and let them do their thing. If you are trying to make some beneficial humidity for them, I think 50-70% is a good range to shoot for.

Dcatalano

Colorado
I don't worry about humidity with adults Russians. I offer them humid hides, damp substrates, and fresh water in an appropriate bowl and let them do their thing. If you are trying to make some beneficial humidity for them, I think 50-70% is a good range to shoot for.
Thanks!
In processing all of this info, I am am considering that the outdoor enclosure will not be temperature or humidity controlled and I live in a high desert area. Gabby will sleep indoors but spend days outside, weather permitting. I’m glad I don’t have to be concerned with humidity levels so much, since he’s full grown.