Tort and cat food

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi everyone...
I have 9 Greek tortoises. They have a pretty free lifestyle... And fend for themselves in the garden.
This little guy heads straight for the catfood dish when he sees the door open. He loves it. I know its bad and I try to give him other things like cucumbers and dandelion as treats but he is not interested. Why do they do this??
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466746802.377065.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466746817.976682.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises are opportunistic feeders.

Why don't you contain them to protect them from harm and eating the wrong foods?

bedia

5 Year Member
Tortoises are opportunistic feeders.

Why don't you contain them to protect them from harm and eating the wrong foods?

I do my best in not letting the torts come inside. None of them ever seemed interested in coming in until this one. They take a peek through the kitchen door and then go about their own business. This guy sneaks in at any opportunity and heads straight to the cat dish at the other end of the kitchen?!
Ofcourse I will move the cat dish to another room so he can not get at it. I just wanted to know why he did this.