Top for enclosure

Nicole210

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Can you please give me some suggestions of a top for my enclosure? To help keep humidity higher. Here is a pic of enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453395897.924355.jpg

The only thing that is different is I now just have one light hanging there instead of that double dome fixture. (Got an MVB bulb now)

Nicole210

Florida
Here is what I was using I had around the house, but it doesn't fully cover as you can seeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453396066.327747.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You may need to remove everything and first seal the wood. It will likely get moldy or start to rot when it starts to stay damp.
Then, I would make a hinged cover for it out of lexan or plexiglass. You may need to place a support beam across the center section unless you use the thicker plexi.
You'll need to make holes for the lights.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people add posts to the corners and connect with cross bars then drape plastic over it or use plexiglass.
The Enclosures thread may have some ideas you could use.

Nicole210

Florida
You may need to remove everything and first seal the wood. It will likely get moldy or start to rot when it starts to stay damp.
Then, I would make a hinged cover for it out of lexan or plexiglass. You may need to place a support beam across the center section unless you use the thicker plexi.
You'll need to make holes for the lights.

The stain my husband used on the enclosure is also a sealant. And the inside bottom is lined with a shower curtain. Read some use that. With the plexiglass, how do you cut that? Certain tool I assume?

Nicole210

Florida
Some people add posts to the corners and connect with cross bars then drape plastic over it or use plexiglass.
The Enclosures thread may have some ideas you could use.

Thank you and I actually have seen exactly what you are suggesting. My problem is, what would I do with my hanging light? Cut a hole in the plastic? I'm worried about the plastic getting too hot?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you and I actually have seen exactly what you are suggesting. My problem is, what would I do with my hanging light? Cut a hole in the plastic? I'm worried about the plastic getting too hot?
I worry about things over heating in a confined space too so I know what you mean. If you make the posts tall enough so that the bulb can hang at the correct height - maybe from a crossbar over the middle - then you could probably hang the bulbs inside. If you use the plexiglass option then I believe people do cut holes so that heat and uvb can get through. I think the the holes are edged with foil or some heat safe insulation. I've not had to do this though for my big tort though so hopefully a member with more experience of this can give better advice.

Nicole210

Florida
I worry about things over heating in a confined space too so I know what you mean. If you make the posts tall enough so that the bulb can hang at the correct height - maybe from a crossbar over the middle - then you could probably hang the bulbs inside. If you use the plexiglass option then I believe people do cut holes so that heat and uvb can get through. I think the the holes are edged with foil or some heat safe insulation. I've not had to do this though for my big tort though so hopefully a member with more experience of this can give better advice.
Problem is if I hang the light below cover it will be too close and way too hot. It's not very deep
Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453408280.988647.jpg

Nicole210

Florida
Could I cut a whole in the plastic lid I'm using now so I can close it all the way? Or is it safer to use plexiglass?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Problem is if I hang the light below cover it will be too close and way too hot. It's not very deep
Here's a pic
View attachment 163069
I absolutely envy your enclosure! Love the doubledecker and picket fence is fantastic!!!! I too worried about plastic overheating, melting and things getting caught on fire or something, and my babies frying in there without a chance of getting away because it is an ENCLOSURE! Made countless trips to pet stores, hobby stores and hardware stores. Finally decided on reptile enclosure metal screen cover, you can buy them at petstore in the fish tank area. They come in different sizes and are designed for heat lamps to sit on top of them. If your enclosure is hight enough you may just need the screen that fits the size to cover it, sit the lamps on top, and cover with insulation material in between the lamps. My screen top is hinged so the access to the babies is very easy. This is what I ended up using for the cover/insulationImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453477521.163392.jpg this stuff is awesome! Soft, playable, easy to cut and fit into different shape places. To seal/secure it I used this metal adhesive tapeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453477647.920987.jpg I found both at the construction area of Home Depot.

W Shaw

A friend made me a light post that's very simple in design, but I love it. Two boards that sandwich the side of the enclosure and are screwed together so there's no way it can budge. The light post is attached to that, so it's totally solid, but allows me to adjust the height up and down in maybe 10 seconds -- fraction of an inch or a foot and a half.Just loosen 2 wingnuts, slide it up or down and tighten the wingnuts again. He's retired. Maybe I could talk him into making more of them!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A friend made me a light post that's very simple in design, but I love it. Two boards that sandwich the side of the enclosure and are screwed together so there's no way it can budge. The light post is attached to that, so it's totally solid, but allows me to adjust the height up and down in maybe 10 seconds -- fraction of an inch or a foot and a half.Just loosen 2 wingnuts, slide it up or down and tighten the wingnuts again. He's retired. Maybe I could talk him into making more of them!
You can't tease like that. Photo will be required please. :D