Enclosure Redux...again. (Replanting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan487

5 Year Member
Went with a canopy style, beneath they can roam but if you look from above its like a planted box. Just waiting for the lamp stand to arrive in the mail and they will have a MVB and Red bulb suspended over it instead of the clamps from a Mini Dome double fixture. Also fixed the cat issue for now by planting Coleus (Flame Nettle) around the edges so he wants to stay away from it. :D

Outside (Again)
Replantoutside.jpg

Hide Box
Replanthide.jpg

Lil dude!
Replant2.jpg

Overall
Replant1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Can I give you a suggestion that I think would make the enclosure better?

.... you need to try putting some plants in there! :D

Does he seem to like his new and colorful jungle? Is he eating any of them yet? Why does the cat stay away because of those plants? What all types of plants did you use...I saw violet, coleus, and some kind of sedum was it?

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Why bother with the lights? It'll be as dark as night down there! :p

I'm waiting for the first ever "you should remove some plants" reply!

Logan487

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Can I give you a suggestion that I think would make the enclosure better?

.... you need to try putting some plants in there! :D

Does he seem to like his new and colorful jungle? Is he eating any of them yet? Why does the cat stay away because of those plants? What all types of plants did you use...I saw violet, coleus, and some kind of sedum was it?

Lol! Ok, let me try to remember the list...

African Violet
Coleus / Flame Nettle (Cats and dogs HATE the smell so they stay away, As far as I can tell though I cant smell anything so its ideal for a repellent when planted around the edges)
Petunia
Echeveria
Snap Dragon
Dahlia
Christmas Cactus
Aloe Vera
Sedum

I think there may be a few others but Im drawing a blank, I was going to put some Agave and Optunia in there but with how big the tortoises are the spines looked more like spears and call me crazy but I was worried about thier little eyes. They are both going crazy from what I can see, Ive been up there 5 times in the last hour and every time they are up to something diffrent. I cant wait to get the MVB bulb in to make a center clearing/basking area so I can finaly say its complete. :D

Just remembered I also buried some Hollyhock seeds so they can munch on the sprouts when they come up. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Guggie said:
I'm waiting for the first ever "you should remove some plants" reply!

The nice thing is, with it so heavily planted, they have so much variety to choose to nibble on, those plants have a better chance to survive then most placed in tortoise enclosures, especially sulcata. Some may not survive due to lack of their lighting needs or even the heat.

I love it myself! :tort:

Logan487

5 Year Member
Its also being moved within range of indoor sunlight. It took a few weeks of monitoring the temp in the spot I chose but now that im sure it doesnt fluctuate there the plants should be able to grow and torts have a varied diet. :D

Though Id give it a month before im putting all new plants in thier enclosure. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.