Top 3 pellets?

robopetz

Hi all,

Just as a supplement on top of fresh greens daily, what would you all say that the top 3 types of pellets would be?
Seems like majority use mazuri?
Ty!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Regular Mazuri, not the new stuff.
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow.

I don't like a third.

I've heard the Marion food sticks are okay, but never tried them.

robopetz

This is the ingredients for the zoomed...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490583842.660416.jpg

And this is the mazuri...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490583894.632212.jpg

Seems like the zoomed is the best bet huh? I'm just looking for a supplement on top of the daily fresh. Maybe say 2x a week I would feed some pellets.
Ty!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sometimes it's about what your tortoise will eat or wether or not he needs to gain... They'll eat softened Original mazuri with gusto no problem..The other foods you may need to work to get them to voluntarily eat it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 15

robopetz

My lil one is in the bottom left. Is the runt of them all. Just trying to get her the best nutrition.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490587560.973098.jpg

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I grind up the zoomed and sprinkle on greens. Otherwise he won't eat it. Loves mazuri though. I limit the mazuri because he seems to put in weight quickly if I feed mazuri too often.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I grind up the zoomed and sprinkle on greens. Otherwise he won't eat it. Loves mazuri though. I limit the mazuri because he seems to put in weight quickly if I feed mazuri too often.
Yep. That's what I was saying too. I don't mind a fat tort though. Lol. I only give Mazuri as a supplement to their salad...They do love it...

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
To keep your baby's beak well maintained you should feed him on a flat pc of sandstone, slate or concrete. Moistened Coco choir is best for bedding of baby. Oh wait I see the mulch. I thought it was straw! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My lil one is in the bottom left. Is the runt of them all. Just trying to get her the best nutrition.

Your babies look too dry in this picture. Their color and the appearance of their growth lines look desiccated. I don't think you will like the result if things continue this way. Happy to offer help if you want it.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@robopetz

I know from your other post that you just got the one sulcata and the picture is from the breeder where you selected "her". @Tom 's comments are worth noting in that something is way off in what you said the breeder told you and how they seem to be cared for there. They do look like they were being kept way too dry. Is the breeder in Hawaii too?? Should be humid there. They probably weren't soaked regularly. There is also no way I can believe your tortoise is 1 yr 8 mo old. It looks no more than a month old if that! If it is as old as the breeder told you, its metabolism has not been functioning at all! Apparently you were also told by the breeder that he just lets the tortoise incubate the eggs herself??? Tortoises do not and cannot do that. It seems you may have to totally disregard whatever the breeder told you and dive into the info here. It is a beautiful little tortoise.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I mentioned this to you on another thread, but I'll say it here again. Most of the members here won't steer you wrong.

I'm a member of many tortoise/turtle communities. This one is the best.

(I also answered this same pellet question for you on a Facebook group before I saw you posted it here too.)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Orchard grass hay pellets 100% orchard grass hay no fillers.
As a bedding? Humidity will cause it to mold. Babies need high heat and high humidity to grow big and smooth. Just remember, high humidity and LOW heat will make a tort sick. Must be 80f in every part of this enclosure even the corners at all time. basking spot needs to be higher. About 100f. If you post a pic of enclosure we'll give you some constructive criticism. All in the name of keeping healthy tortoise not to be critical of YOU. People are fed all kinds of wrong information by breeders and pet stores. Some critically wrong. Coil bulbs and ramped water bowls, for instance, bad no-no's.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
As a bedding? Humidity will cause it to mold. Babies need high heat and high humidity to grow big and smooth. Just remember, high humidity and LOW heat will make a tort sick. Must be 80f in every part of this enclosure even the corners at all time. basking spot needs to be higher. About 100f. If you post a pic of enclosure we'll give you some constructive criticism. All in the name of keeping healthy tortoise not to be critical of YOU. People are fed all kinds of wrong information by breeders and pet stores. Some critically wrong. Coil bulbs and ramped water bowls, for instance, bad no-no's.
I think he meant orchard pellets in response to the top three pellet question, not to the comment above his about bedding.

I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Tom

robopetz

Your babies look too dry in this picture. Their color and the appearance of their growth lines look desiccated. I don't think you will like the result if things continue this way. Happy to offer help if you want it.

This pic is what the breeder sent me. My lil one is in better conditions thanks to all the info I have soaked in from this forum. Ty

robopetz

@robopetz

I know from your other post that you just got the one sulcata and the picture is from the breeder where you selected "her". @Tom 's comments are worth noting in that something is way off in what you said the breeder told you and how they seem to be cared for there. They do look like they were being kept way too dry. Is the breeder in Hawaii too?? Should be humid there. They probably weren't soaked regularly. There is also no way I can believe your tortoise is 1 yr 8 mo old. It looks no more than a month old if that! If it is as old as the breeder told you, its metabolism has not been functioning at all! Apparently you were also told by the breeder that he just lets the tortoise incubate the eggs herself??? Tortoises do not and cannot do that. It seems you may have to totally disregard whatever the breeder told you and dive into the info here. It is a beautiful little tortoise.

That is correct but, I meant that the breeder had incubated the eggs herself and not mama tortoise. From what I've learned here from all you very helpful people and the very helpful articles you folds out together. I have disregarded the info and am now following the right way to care for my lil one. I too cannot believe my lil ones said to be a year and 8 months.

robopetz

Btw. I got a scale last night and my lil one is 47 grams. She has been eating well, getting daily natural sun, and getting her soaks from day one.