Converting off of those colorful pellets?

robopetz

Hi,

How do you convert a baby that was raised on those bad colorful round pellets? It doesn't know how to eat fresh greens?
Ty!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Soak some of the pellets and then mix in a very small amount of some chopped greens or grass. Make it a mush that he can't eat around. Gradually, over weeks or months, add more and more of the good stuff. Only use a tiny amount of the new stuff at first.

You could also grind up the pellets ahead of time and then soak it into a mush.

Be patient. There is no rush. When this tortoise gets a little bigger, it will eat everything you put in front of it and then look for more. It is truly astounding how much a relatively small sulcata can eat in one sitting. Many people find it alarming once their tortoise is about 7-8". They can eat 3-4 heads of lettuce at that size all by themselves. This is when most people discover the joy of grass hay. :)

robopetz

Soak some of the pellets and then mix in a very small amount of some chopped greens or grass. Make it a mush that he can't eat around. Gradually, over weeks or months, add more and more of the good stuff. Only use a tiny amount of the new stuff at first.

You could also grind up the pellets ahead of time and then soak it into a mush.

Be patient. There is no rush. When this tortoise gets a little bigger, it will eat everything you put in front of it and then look for more. It is truly astounding how much a relatively small sulcata can eat in one sitting. Many people find it alarming once their tortoise is about 7-8". They can eat 3-4 heads of lettuce at that size all by themselves. This is when most people discover the joy of grass hay. :)

Thank you! I'll just have to slowly wean him off of that stuff then. Thanks for the info Tom ^_~

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
I agree with Tom, mix it with the good stuff. Then later, when you're ready to add mazuri and hay, just mix that stuff in, too :)

robopetz

No success! Going on day 4 without eating

I hear some take time to adjust to their new home and won't eat? Some have gone for weeks with no food? Just a worried parent here.

robopetz

Everything all set right. I'm in Hawaii so it's not difficult to manage the temps and humidity. He gets his daily soaks, daily greens, daily natural sun and some lamp uvb as well. The works! lol I have researched a ton here and everywhere before bringing him home.