Too much cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
Is there such a thing as feeding too much of the cactus pads? I bought some from Carolinapetsupply and one of our torts went wild for the stuff.

Each time I offered, I diced and added to other mixed greens. She picked all the cactus out of the pile of greens. Now that we are out of it, she comes to the dish and sifts through the greens looking for more of the cactus. She eventually ate greens yesterday (without cactus).

But if she loves it so much, is there any harm in feeding it more frequently?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm... I have no scientific studies to cite, but my feeling is that you would probably be fine if it made up no more than 50% of the diet. It is good for them. High in moisture, fiber and calcium. I just don't think it's a good substitute for weeds and leafy greens.

I'm interested to know what other keepers might think...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The main risk is that your tort will start refusing everything else. Joe's an expert at turning up his nose at everything except his current favourite.

Just like humans, a variety in diet is good for torts and helps to stop them getting fixed on eating one thing.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I don't know about Russians, but for Sulcatas, who need lots of grass and weeds I would say less than 40% of diet and for Leopards, who eat alot more suculents than Sulcatas and alot less grass, I would say no more that 60-70% of diet. It is good for them but variety is still the best idea!

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
JoesMum said:
The main risk is that your tort will start refusing everything else. Joe's an expert at turning up his nose at everything except his current favourite.

Just like humans, a variety in diet is good for torts and helps to stop them getting fixed on eating one thing.

Thanks JoesMum. I think you are be right. I probably just need to make sure of that. Since we're out of it right now anyway, they were given greens the past few days and they still seem to be eating those too. For now, no harm done. But I'll try to just keep a good variety and not "spoil" her with cactus.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Walker my (very spoiled) adult male sulcata will want a certain food type for awhile and then not touch it for awhile, right now he wants grass and weeds, the only way he will eat collards is if I hand feed them to him, if I lay them on the ground he walks by them like they are not there. last year he ate some cactus almost every day for most of the summer and then he wouldn't touch it, unless I hand fed it to him,It is almost like he knows what he needs, So I'm not sure he would over eat cactus or any food given to him, (except bananas he loves them).

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I would say no it wouldn't harm her per say but its best to feed them in moderation with any food source. Cactus is great for their diet just keep it under control and make sure she's eating other things as well.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Hmmm... I have no scientific studies to cite, but my feeling is that you would probably be fine if it made up no more than 50% of the diet. It is good for them. High in moisture, fiber and calcium. I just don't think it's a good substitute for weeds and leafy greens.

I'm interested to know what other keepers might think...

I, too, think that cactus is fine for up to 50% of the diet, no more. Mixed w/ weeds and/or dark green veggies one day, and mixed w/ Marion Tortoise kibble the next, is working with my 4.

Once in a while I give them just cactus for a meal, but not too often.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Arizona Sulcata said:
I would say no it wouldn't harm her per say but its best to feed them in moderation with any food source. Cactus is great for their diet just keep it under control and make sure she's eating other things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.