How much food for Hermanns tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
I have an adult Hermanns. How much should he be eating & how often? He gets mixed greens everyday, Mazuri (5 or so pellets)every other day with Grassland (5 or so pellets) on opposite days, hibiscus flowers 1x week, cactus pads 1x week. Is this too much? He cleans his dish everyday

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I normally give Walter a heap of various weeds the size of his shell, what he doesn't eat I just take out later. Sometimes he finishes it all right away, and I give him a bit more, and sometimes he likes to just browse throughout the day. It really depends on your tortoise.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
I've reached the point now where I just have a constant mound of food in Emrys' enclosure. He grazes and doesn't eat more than he should, and I rotate where the mound is so that anything that's turned crisp and dry can be mixed into his substrate. :p

Not saying that's always the way to go, just that in my personal experience 'too much' isn't an issue. Emrys stops when he's full.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. For example today I gave him a mound of greens this am and when I got home from work the dish was empty. I gave him some pelleted food and he scarfed that up also. We have renamed him Porky.

Status
Not open for further replies.