Too much...

AZRT

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was told. It to “over do” feeding my baby sulcata cactus pads. I normally feed him mixed greens, collard, mustard, dandelion and some burmuda and a few times a week some chopped up cactus pads. Am I feeding him too much cactus?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everything in moderation. As part of a varied diet, cactus is a great food. Three or four times a week should be ok.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
I will say what I do with my two year old Egyptian. I’m sure other sulcata keepers will be along to give you more specific advice. But this is what works for me!

On average, I give this very small tortoise about an inch square of peeled cactus every week. I monitor how often she poops, and if she goes for three days with no poops, I might add a second day of cactus. Also, when I pick up her poop, I squeeze it to see that it is soft. I am aiming for formed but soft.

I guess I am trying to say that the amount of cactus I give her is guided by how often and the consistency of her poop.

I am new to tortoise keeping, so others may be along to say I am completely wrong LOL!

daniellenc

Maryland
You're brave lol. If it is solid looking I do not squeeze it. I feed cactus 1-2 times per week but Skurt gets all upset about how sticky it makes his mouth so he barely eats any as it is lol. If he liked it I still wouldn't overdo it because it has laxative properties and I have to clean up after him hehe