Too Cold outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Today it's 55F outside and very sunny. Humidity is 28% and there is a slight breeze. It feels warm to me in the sun, however I am still hesitant to bring my tort outside. I have a 1 yr old Greek. What are you guys thoughts on this?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We're in the low 50's here as well today. My tortoises are outside and grazing.

If it's sunny outside, the tortoise should be able to elevate it's body temperature to where it needs to be in order to function. Thermoregulation is an interesting thing.

Just don't leave him outside for too long though!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would say not to. I put mine out, but she is a sulcata and she is 2. I use a temp gun to see what the temp is in the sun. But only leave her out for a few hours..

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I personally would take him/her out and see how he/she reacts. If (s)he tries to hide or burrow take him/her back inside, but if (s)he basks, grazes or starts exploring leave him/her outside for a little bit. Probably around half an hour to an hour at most.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your tortoise is currently being kept indoors where it's temperatures are stable and it's not used to abrupt changes in temperature (and humidity) it would be unwise to take it out in temperatures as low 55 degrees. If your tortoise were being kept outdoors day and night for a long period of time and the temperatures were in the mid 50's even, much lower it would be fine because it would have already been well acclimated to changes in temperature. Exposing a tortoise that is kept inside under regular activity level conditions to suddenly going outdoors in temperatures well below 65 degrees is opening the door for possible colds, pneumonia and other health related problems. Tortoises that are kept indoors don't need to be put outdoors whenever the sun is out. On very warm sunny days it's fine. On cooler days you're exposing the tortoise to possible problems unless it has already been very well acclimated to outdoor life.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
GBtortoises said:
If your tortoise is currently being kept indoors where it's temperatures are stable and it's not used to abrupt changes in temperature (and humidity) it would be unwise to take it out in temperatures as low 55 degrees. If your tortoise were being kept outdoors day and night for a long period of time and the temperatures were in the mid 50's even, much lower it would be fine because it would have already been well acclimated to changes in temperature. Exposing a tortoise that is kept inside under regular activity level conditions to suddenly going outdoors in temperatures well below 65 degrees is opening the door for possible colds, pneumonia and other health related problems. Tortoises that are kept indoors don't need to be put outdoors whenever the sun is out. On very warm sunny days it's fine. On cooler days you're exposing the tortoise to possible problems unless it has already been very well acclimated to outdoor life.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.