Greek Tortoise Maturity Question

kerwillard

5 Year Member
Hi Tort forum!

Yesterday, while Frank was eating his breakfast, we noticed that he began to take a, well, "romantic interest" in his broccoli. He is a 1 yr old Greek tortoise, and we live in Orange County CA where spring weather is in full swing. At first we didn't know exactly what we were seeing coming out of his tail and we were worried that it might be some kind of intestinal prolapse. After some internet research we figured out what we actually saw. Anyway, my question in all this is, is it normal for a 1 yr old Greek to be moving into sexual maturity? He's so little still!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
In captivity, many times we force them to grow bigger and quicker so while it's not something you hear coming from a 1 year old often, it certainly does happen. Are you 100% sure he's a year old or were you just told that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Never heard of it happening to a male of that age around this area, but yours looks like a different sub species to my girl.
Your Frank is an absolute Adonis among torts.
Tidgy fancies him.

fern4

Hello,
I wanted you to know you are not alone. My tortoise is 2 years old. We also got him from tortoise supply company. I thought he was a girl until he flashed his privates. He has been doing it for a good 6 months now. He seems very proud of himself. Thought it might help to know that mine is also young but also "mature." :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello,
I wanted you to know you are not alone. My tortoise is 2 years old. We also got him from tortoise supply company. I thought he was a girl until he flashed his privates. He has been doing it for a good 6 months now. He seems very proud of himself. Thought it might help to know that mine is also young but also "mature." :)
But does he fancy broccoli ?