Tonka, our Sulcata Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka's Dad

5 Year Member
Hello from sunny Austin, TX.

We recently brought home a sulcata hatchling (we think he is about 4 months old). He is being doted on like a new born baby by the family. I've been reading through this forum for about a week and figured it was time to introduce myself and our little stomper, Tonka. Sorry the pics are blurry - he doesn't stay still long enough for my iPhone to focus!
Tonka078.jpg

Tonka077.jpg

Tonka075.jpg

I'm really surprised at how brave and social he is. He has no qualms being handled and rarely seeks the safety of his shell. He loves being outside but only gets a little yard time everyday. For now he is indoors on a tortoise table but we are planning to upgrade him to a Zoo Med Tortoise House. We've already changed his set up from the one pictured - Tonka is now in a wooden box with a bit more room, we replaced the large hideaway with a smaller one (so he feels more cozy and enclosed) and we repositioned the rocks to avoid any flip-overs.

I've grown pretty attached to the little guy in the two weeks he's been home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tonka's Dad:

Cute little tortoise, and nice habitat.

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can see why you have become so attached to him. Welcome to the forum.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi! Welcome to you and to Tonka! What a cutie!
They sure do move fast don't they? LOL

M

Maggie Cummings

welcome, but I am going to suggest that he is starting to pyramid and you need to increase his humidity, make sure that you have a fresh UVB bulb make sure you are feeding him a varied diet and that he is getting lots of exercise.
Would you mind telling me what is the substrate he is on? I hope you don't mind me offering advice that you didn't ask for, but he is cute and I want to try and prevent any future damage if possible...:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id also use caution with those climbing rocks.. if he falls over and upside down he may get stuck that way..
Like maggie said, he is already showing pyramiding .. which tells me was wasnt kept moist enough. So make sure you do daily warm water soaks, and he gets calcium and real sunshine.
Dont confuse how active he is when he is out as friendly.. he may be, but he also may be stressed and trying to find a place to hide.
I dont think that is the case with yours, as you describe it differently. Just something to be aware of.
and....WELCOME!

Tonka's Dad

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the warm welcomes. Some answers to your questions. First, my name is Walter.

Tonka was showing some pyramiding when purchased but I figured I could course correct since he is so young. He seemed reasonably kept by the shop I purchased him from but wasnt getting the care and attention he gets from us. I first saw him about a week before I purchased him and in that time did a lot of research online and via books. I went back to see him at the store again, armed with more knowledge on recommended husbandry and what makes for a "good" hatchling. The store was doing a lot right but there were a few things that concerned me too - like the fact that they were only soaking him 2-3 times a week. While his shell wasn't perfect, he had good weight, bright eyes, limb strength and some spunk and vibrancy. Ultimately, I decided that he deserved better and wanted to give him more than he was getting.

Tonka gets nightly soaks, has a water dish constantly present and has his subtrate spritzed with water every day. I'm using a ground coconut husk substrate. He is under a combo UBV/heat bulb and also gets outside in the yard once a day. I'm feeding a combo of spring mix, fresh grass and weeds - I'm going to keep him off of any processed pet food. I'm supplementing him with calcium powder and bits of cuttle bone (that he seems to love).

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm new to this so please keep the advice coming!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Walter. I don't have any Sulcata's but your's is adorable, and just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Welcome to the forum! Tonka is adorable :)
I'm impressed that the pet store was soaking him at all!

Tonka said:
Tonka gets nightly soaks, has a water dish constantly present and has his subtrate spritzed with water every day. I'm using a ground coconut husk substrate. He is under a combo UBV/heat bulb and also gets outside in the yard once a day. I'm feeding a combo of spring mix, fresh grass and weeds - I'm going to keep him off of any processed pet food. I'm supplementing him with calcium powder and bits of cuttle bone (that he seems to love).

Sounds great! I also made the decision not to feed my tortoise processed pet food. That said, there are people on here who use Grassland and/or Mazuri tortoise formulas and are pleased with the results. Something to consider, especially when your little baby is a BIG baby, and eating you out of house and home :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Welcome. Just curiosity, what was the pet store feeding him? I'm also surprised about the soaking.

Tonka's Dad

5 Year Member
They told me they were feeding spring mix but claimed to have sulcata's of their own who they were feeding whole heads of lettuce and apples. In a weird way the more reading I did the more compelled I was to get Tonka out of there. Not once did they mention that grass, hay and weeds was the typical staple diet. I don't hold it against them (they were nice folks) just not as versed on sulcata as some of their more "common" exotic critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.