Tomato?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Dunno about cucumber, but my tort loves tomato. Only as an occasional treat though, certainly no more than once a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A small amount once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but I can't say that its "good" for them. My preference is to fill their stomaches with things that are GOOD for them rather than things that probably won't hurt them in small amounts.

Now pardon me, I've gotta go eat some Reeses peanut butter cups... :)

furandscales

5 Year Member
Tom said:
A small amount once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but I can't say that its "good" for them. My preference is to fill their stomaches with things that are GOOD for them rather than things that probably won't hurt them in small amounts.

Ok:) enjoy those peanut butter cups! Haha

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While they don't need treats, once a month won't hurt.

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Tom said:

Wow Tom! So hypocritical!!:p Just kidding! (I like 'em too!)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Cucumbers are really high in water, and not high in nutrition... plus they have often been treated with chemicals to keep bugs and slugs off.

Tomatoes are too acidic and too high in sugar. Even at 'once a week' as someone posted, they can seriously mess with the pH in the torts gut and cause parasite blooms.

If you feel like you HAVE to give your tort a treat, I would suggest a slice of tart apple once or so per MONTH. Or for a healthier treat, hibiscus flowers are delicious to torts, AND nutritious. Seriously, your tort will go crazy over that hibiscus!

furandscales said:
Can I give my Russian Tomato and Cucumber?

furandscales

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
Cucumbers are really high in water, and not high in nutrition... plus they have often been treated with chemicals to keep bugs and slugs off.

Tomatoes are too acidic and too high in sugar. Even at 'once a week' as someone posted, they can seriously mess with the pH in the torts gut and cause parasite blooms.

If you feel like you HAVE to give your tort a treat, I would suggest a slice of tart apple once or so per MONTH. Or for a healthier treat, hibiscus flowers are delicious to torts, AND nutritious. Seriously, your tort will go crazy over that hibiscus!

Hibiscus? Hmm.... I have never heard that! Ill have to try that!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It may not be good for them, but if I have a tomato that would otherwise be trashed, it gets given to my tortoises. :p :D They love them like candy and in my own experience, I have not saw any problems. I would think the most common problem would be, if you feed them too much you would see loose stools.

the_bookish_tortoise

5 Year Member
Oakland, CA
My tortoise goes nuts over tomatoes. I have a video of him tearing into one and devouring every tiny morsel of it, getting the tomato guts all over his face. It's as gruesome as watching a lion eat an antelope.

He only gets them once and a while, and usually just one cherry tomato, though, since they're not the healthiest of foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.