Told by breeder hermann and by other breeder russian

Jennyknight

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I have acquired a tortoise that was abandoned. I have insured him and had him seen by a vet and a hermann breeder. I then sent pictures to a hermann breeder asking a question who then said he was a horse field . I’m so confused. Can anybody help

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, Russian for me too. Welcome to the forum!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
It is a boy, and a Russian. Cute tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Ink said, Male Russian

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome,
Thanks for taking in this tortoise. FYI Horsefield and Russian are one and the same just I case you thought you had a 3rd species! But they both need similar care and environments
Please read this to check setup and settings. I really recommend moment soaks in a high sided container 3 times a week this helps hydration and waste exit!

I also recommend a weekly weight log so you can check weight gain / loss. Water, substrate, diet and calcium also important.
Enjoy and adventure questions

Reactions: Tom

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Jenny and welcome from Devon.I'm glad you have found this forum, as you will get proper information from people who have a lot of experience concerning all areas of tortoise care, and will answer any questions helpfully. Also it's nice to see more people from the UK joining - where do you live ?
Best wishes from Angie

Reactions: Tom

Jennyknight

Uk
Thanks everybody. Now I know lol. I’ve had him several months now and am loving him although he is very noisy. I will include a pic of his enclosure which now has a border around the bottom so not to confuse him. He has two uvb/uva basking bulbs and a strip light. I’m off today to make him a mini mountain as he loves climbing. His name is Jack and he is approximately 8 years old and lives in my living room. Before me he lived free roam in a house with no lights or supplements and a gut full of hair and glitter. He had bloods and apart from some pyramiding he is healthy. Has a bath three times a week which seems to be the only time he drinks.. I have weeds growing for him which is limited atm as it’s winter but will be planting a new batch in a month in his purposes built weed garden. Oh and I’m in Leicestershire

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2434.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everybody. Now I know lol. I’ve had him several months now and am loving him although he is very noisy. I will include a pic of his enclosure which now has a border around the bottom so not to confuse him. He has two uvb/uva basking bulbs and a strip light. I’m off today to make him a mini mountain as he loves climbing. His name is Jack and he is approximately 8 years old and lives in my living room. Before me he lived free roam in a house with no lights or supplements and a gut full of hair and glitter. He had bloods and apart from some pyramiding he is healthy. Has a bath three times a week which seems to be the only time he drinks.. I have weeds growing for him which is limited atm as it’s winter but will be planting a new batch in a month in his purposes built weed garden. Oh and I’m in Leicestershire
You've done pretty well there with the enclosure, but I see a few things:
1. Basking bulbs should be regular incandescent flood bulbs. Arcadia sells them over there. Mercury vapor bulbs are not a good source of UV for many reasons, but one reason is that the UV shouldn't be "on" for 12 or more hours a day. You only need the UV on, best from a HO tube, for a few hours mid day. The rest of the time you need ambient lighting and basking light. Too much UV is not good.
2. Get the hay out of the substrate. Your substrate should be lightly damp, both for humidity and to reduce dust, and the dampness will make that hay mold.
3. He needs a large shallow water dish. Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best. Get another for food. Get two more to have on hand as extras. They are cheap.
4. Put a flat rock under all basking lamps. Looks like there is one on the left side, but not over on the right.

There is a heating and lighting breakdown in the link from Sarah. Questions are welcome.