toenail question

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
one of the babies we have that was a drop off with us has one of the toenails that is growing straight coming out of the foot then take a literal 90 deg turn and is growing towards the pad. we need to get this trimmed down to avoid it growing into the foot but not sure i can take off enough to really stop it. i hate to quick this nail but it does need to come down. any thoughts? it seems to be growing in straight with the new growth in guessing its from how they were kept or maybe the nail broke some but i dont see any sort of cracks in it.

hope someone can help me out with this, thanks in advance.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
let me try to take one. its like an L it comes out straight for a bit then turns

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you do it in very bright light (in the sun) you can see where the quick is. Trim off a little, wait a week then trim some more. Keep doing this until you have it where you want it.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i was able to use super macro and get a decent couple of pics. hope this helps. they are a bit large sorry about that if i shrunk them it become a bit harder to see.

Attachments

• P1010192.JPG
    P1010192.JPG
    817.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010193.JPG
    P1010193.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 20

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i was able to trim the very tip off. i can see the quick and dont want to go any further yet, it does look like there is a small crack in the nail before where the quick ends. i am not sure if i should take it off there or not. if its cracked i dont want it to get stuff in there. it only seems to open the spot that looks like a crack when i move the nail back some to trim it.