Sulcata got the nail in the eyes while trying to eat

Huut

Hi everyone on Tortoiseforum:

It is my first time owning a Sulcata, everything is set up accordingly and I've given my Sulcata good balance in the grass and dark green leaf diet. One concern as I watch my Sulcata eat is that, when sometimes it is trying to eat the leaf with the front leg, the toenail would poke into the eye. I know it hurts because my Sulcata then stops immediately, re-position the leg and then continue eating.
I'm really concerned about if this poking eye continues, will the eye get infected or any injury occur due to the scratch from the nail? (the nail is pretty darn sharp for a baby Sulcata that is about 4month old)

If any one have a moment, please let me know. :(!

Thank you so so much!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I wouldn't think that a tortoise would injure it's eye while eating.... however, one of the benefits to natural grazing is they can tear bite size pieces off from the grounded plant without all the arm holding and pulling. Maybe you can get creative with how you feed him. Some options are:

Take a shovel and dig up a patch of weeds to plant into the indoor enclosure. After a few days (as it starts to die) put it back in the hole you got it from outside and do it again in a new spot.

Gather all the greens you want to feed for the day and clip them together in a chip clip. Then you can attach the clip to something to "ground"it. Maybe pack it into the dirt substrate or attach it to the wall, or a rock..

I've occasionally seen my tortoises (baby and adult) do what you describe but Ive never worried about them damaging their eye.

Maybe others will have more info for you.

Huut

I wouldn't think that a tortoise would injure it's eye while eating.... however, one of the benefits to natural grazing is they can tear bite size pieces off from the grounded plant without all the arm holding and pulling. Maybe you can get creative with how you feed him.

Thank you for the tip of clipping the food together! what a great idea. when my Sulcata trying to "tear apart" the leaf into even smaller pieces to eat, and as the the front leg move to hold on to the leaf, then the toenail would get in the way and eventually poke into the eye socket.
I was just worried about eye-infection or getting scratches in the eyes..

Bedding I use is timothy hay...maybe I should use a big clip and hold all the leafs/loose grass together so it won't move around for my Sulcata.

many many thanks for the idea!!!! really appreciated :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please be sure to read the care sheet on baby sulcatas that's pinned at the top of our Sulcata section here on the Forum. You say you're using timothy hay as substrate, and this leads me to believe you haven't read the care sheet. Too dry. Baby sulcatas need moisture in their environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just out of curiosity. What are you using for UV?

I've never seen a tortoise damage its own eye this way.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Glad you like the chip clip idea.

Like Yvonne mentioned, check out the caresheet. I'd ditch the hay bedding and use a damp earthy substrate. ;)
I know there are many caresheets out there BUT a lot of us follow that care sheet with great results! Really great results!

Huut

Thanks Yvonne for this! The reptile guy at the petstore suggested Timothy hay, and I read on other places it suggested that it needs both dry and humid areas...so humid is just moss and coconut shred....But I've read people suggested that if the enclosure is moist, it might develop a respiratory infection ? many different opinions and overwhelming of info I've read here and there.. .

This case I should find a better alternative bedding for my Sulcata.. btw! His or her name is Pudding!

I don't know why this behaviour of eye-poking occur... I can't find people talking about it on other forum :/ only happen to my Sulcata??

Desert UVB light from ZOOMED and plus a heating lamp I've got the temperature and humidity monitored by digital reader.Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Desert UVB light from ZOOMED and plus a heating lamp I've got the temperature and humidity monitored by digital reader.Hope this helps!

What kind? Is it a long tube? Or is is it a colt type cfl?

Huut

I should upload the brand-photo from the pet store. i have 2, I'm currently using the mini-desert one. (first image)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.28.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.28.09 PM.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.29.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.29.04 PM.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Powersun is fine. The cfl might be burning his eyes and that is why he is wiping at them. I would not use that one.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and I also know pet store employees usually don't have any clue. All the best and most current information is on this forum. I did a lot of Internet searching to figure that out. so check out the care she needs in the species specific section and keep asking questions. Hey is very dry and there's a lot of dust in it. So if you change the substrate and keep it moist and don't use the coil bulb your tortoise should feel much better. And I think you are right to worry about him poking himself in the eye, he could scratch the cornea or damage the eye. It May not happen often but it is definitely a possibility. Welcome to the forum.

Huut

The Powersun is fine. The cfl might be burning his eyes and that is why he is wiping at them. I would not use that one.
Oh no! Maybe that is another factor resulting him poking his eye! I switched out the mini-desert uvb. I was gonna use that one when i'm done installing a dimmer. i thought 100 W would be too strong for a baby so I used the mini one.

Huut

I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and I also know pet store employees usually don't have any clue. All the best and most current information is on this forum. I did a lot of Internet searching to figure that out. so check out the care she needs in the species specific section and keep asking questions. Hey is very dry and there's a lot of dust in it. So if you change the substrate and keep it moist and don't use the coil bulb your tortoise should feel much better. And I think you are right to worry about him poking himself in the eye, he could scratch the cornea or damage the eye. It May not happen often but it is definitely a possibility. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you leigti welcoming me to the forum. I think I can find some cohesive info mostly here instead of running through the different webpages...

substrate and light is a big thing to change now. I hope the situation gets well and my Pudding will not damager his eye!

Thank you once again!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Oh no! Maybe that is another factor resulting him poking his eye! I switched out the mini-desert uvb. I was gonna use that one when i'm done installing a dimmer. i thought 100 W would be too strong for a baby so I used the mini one.

you don't want to put a dimmer on a UVB it'll cut down on the life of the bulb but as tom suggested get rid of the cfl and go with the powersun

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). It is a pain to decipher all the info that is out there. Most of us have been where you are. If you stay with the info on this forum, you won't go wrong. Many very helpful people here that really care about your tortoise being raised the best way possible and giving you all the help you need. Tom's threads are below in my post for raising your little one.

Huut

Hello and Welcome:). It is a pain to decipher all the info that is out there. Most of us have been where you are. If you stay with the info on this forum, you won't go wrong. Many very helpful people here that really care about your tortoise being raised the best way possible and giving you all the help you need. Tom's threads are below in my post for raising your little one.
Thank you wellington for your kind comments to help me out on my little Sulcata! i'm super glad to find this forum and join in. I've been changing the interior, bedding and switch light bulbs to a better, suitable environment for Sulcata!

:)