hibernation

Stez77

Location (City and/or State)
rhoose south wales uk
hi can anyone help me? my two russians are due to go back to the sanctuary for 2 months hibernation I'm just wondering do they have to go or can i just keep them awake, I've had them for a year now and they are about 1.5 - 2 years old. (hope this aint a stupid question) many thanks stez.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No you don't have to hibernate your Russians. They can be kept awake with good, bright lighting on for 14 hours and the correct temperatures- you need to be careful they don't drop as the weather changes.

You may find your torts are considerably less active than usual through the winter.

It's not usually recommended to hibernate a tortoise in the first year of ownership... and it's also not recommended for very young animals as their bodyweight is too low.

I have never heard of torts being returned for hibernation. Is this a condition of adoption? Was it in a contract?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As a side note... are these two being kept together? Have you been warned that Russians are not social and should not live as a pair?

Stez77

rhoose south wales uk
no wasn't in a contract just advised thats all, but i don't want them to go not if they don't really have to, yes they are two and i have read about keeping two together at what age do you separate then as these two won't do anything with out each other,

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They shouldn't be together at all. Bullying can start very young. If you get a tort that's failing to thrive, and frequently that's the first sign, then it could already be too late.

They should be kept entirely separately from the start.

Stez77

rhoose south wales uk
although I'm reading they shouldn't be kept together I've seen no sign of bullying, they eat sleep and get heat off the lamp together the moment it changes i will look to separate.