To Be....Or Not To Be ....sick?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
We DO understand. Almost all of my family, coworkers and friends don’t get it either. My own family won’t even refer to my tortoise by his name. My grandma who is in her 90’s is the only one who seems to care and genuinely enjoys hearing about Dozer’s antics. She has a hard time remembering that his name is Dozer…she calls him Bozo (like the clown) and I don’t correct her. I know how deep your love is for Sally and I care…we all do here. I have an incredibly strong bond with my tortoise who I’ve only had for almost 2 years, so I can only imagine how much greater your bond is with Sally, having raised her all these years. All of the people in our lives who don’t ”get it” are the ones who are missing out. Stay strong, my friend. ❤️
I completely agree. My grandma is so wise. Visiting with her is one of my favourite things in the world. We have a very special bond and speak regularly. I’m very lucky to still have a grandma at my age. She really is the sweetest. I haven’t been able to be in the same room as her in over a year because of covid. I’m hoping things will improve here soon so I can see her and finally give her a hug. This past winter my parents had to go out to the home she lives in to do some paperwork (she lives about an hour away) and before my parents left, one of the workers at the home said my grandma asked to give them “this” and handed my parents a bag. Inside the bag was one of my grandma’s special angels. She has collected angels for many years and when she moved into the home where she lives now, she wasn’t able to take a lot with her, but she needed some of her angels. Well, she wanted me to have one of her last possessions and requested that I put it in Dozer’s enclosure to watch over him and keep him safe, happy and healthy. ? I was going to post a picture of where I have it in his enclosure, but it won’t let me attach a pic in this thread (I think it’s because this threat is in the Tortoise Forum Contests section).

Anyhow, I hope Sally made some progress today and that you’re getting some well needed rest and stress relief. I am just disgusted with what happened with the vet appointment being bumped and them not trying to make that situation right to compensate for their error. Brutal!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I completely agree. My grandma is so wise. Visiting with her is one of my favourite things in the world. We have a very special bond and speak regularly. I’m very lucky to still have a grandma at my age. She really is the sweetest. I haven’t been able to be in the same room as her in over a year because of covid. I’m hoping things will improve here soon so I can see her and finally give her a hug. This past winter my parents had to go out to the home she lives in to do some paperwork (she lives about an hour away) and before my parents left, one of the workers at the home said my grandma asked to give them “this” and handed my parents a bag. Inside the bag was one of my grandma’s special angels. She has collected angels for many years and when she moved into the home where she lives now, she wasn’t able to take a lot with her, but she needed some of her angels. Well, she wanted me to have one of her last possessions and requested that I put it in Dozer’s enclosure to watch over him and keep him safe, happy and healthy. ? I was going to post a picture of where I have it in his enclosure, but it won’t let me attach a pic in this thread (I think it’s because this threat is in the Tortoise Forum Contests section).

Anyhow, I hope Sally made some progress today and that you’re getting some well needed rest and stress relief. I am just disgusted with what happened with the vet appointment being bumped and them not trying to make that situation right to compensate for their error. Brutal!!
How beautiful to have a person like that in your life. Even though she's your grandmother, she's actually a true friend. What a blessing from God ?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Chef - Zola and I have been thinking of you and Sally a lot - really sorry your vet is so useless. Has Sally improved at all ?
And how is Gary - I hope he has been encouraging you both - in a slightly sticky way perhaps. Still, he ought to have an affinity with other shelled beings.
Angie x

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello Chef - Zola and I have been thinking of you and Sally a lot - really sorry your vet is so useless. Has Sally improved at all ?
And how is Gary - I hope he has been encouraging you both - in a slightly sticky way perhaps. Still, he ought to have an affinity with other shelled beings.
Angie x

Thank you for caring so much!!!!! ??
I DO have an update!!! ?

Update : yesterday Sally ate a whole LARGE plate of GRASS with some lettuce bits mixed in!!!
SHE DID THAT TWICE !!!!
and TODAY : she has eaten ONE full plate
So far. But I am confident that she will eat another at dinner time.. ?

I did notice though, when I was feeding her both times, I happen to be under a “spot light”. It was my husbands work light that he forgot to take down.
It was like she could see better!??
Could this be a problem with eye sight?
Then when we were done, she wanted nothing to do with light again... walked right over to the tub and was banging on it until I gave in (about 15mins). I didn’t want to make her stress even more....
So back in the tub she went, with warm/hotter water and lights out..small t.v.
on low with cartoons on..?

I am trying everything I know .
I am certain the food she HAS eaten would cause a poop.. so that may be my next update.. NOT YET THOUGH!

I am still baffled at why she will not go into her night box with the heat??
Nothing has changed to it ??
Same night box she ADORED in March, April,May....
Any suggestion??
I take ALL advice!!! ❤️

Now on to little Gary.
He is a DOLL!!!
Last night I caught him sitting on a bridge in his tank staring over at the weird big rock in the tub..?
I don’t know if he was singing to her
“Twinkle twinkle little star” OR
If he was telling her off????
Either way, I was just glad that he was looking in great shape for a 3 year old garden snail. ??❤️

Now... on to you and Zola. I love that name!
How are you both today? Is the weather any better? Tell me everything!!! ?
Here it is crazy cold, hot , 63 degrees in the morning 92 degrees at night! ?

And finally, I have to ask for apologies from all of you!!!!
I have not left an update every day about Sally because ....
on Tuesday my friend and neighbor (an older lady) was taken in an ambulance at 11:30pm.
I had to call everywhere to find where they had taken her the next day.
When I finally found her in a hospital,
I was told I was not “family” and was not allowed any information.
Yesterday, my husband forced me to go with him to the hospital and LIE to get in.
So we did, and it actually WORKED!!!
One person said she fell
One person said she had a stroke
Finally I ..... ooopps..... pressed the “nurses button” on the bed ?
She came in the room like she was leading the party so I took advantage of her cockiness . Asked her all about what was going on.
Such a tuff guy in her own skin, she barked all the information I wanted.
Turns out....
This lady is 91, lives alone, and finally fell in the kitchen bruising her arm REALLY badly.
The diagnosis wasn’t a stroke (which is what I thought) but...
A “LOW BLOOD SODIUM”!!!???
(I’ve never heard of that one?)
She seems to be awake, slowly talking and little walking, but she seems to be very confused and forgetful??? (Isn’t that stroke signs?)
They said she just needs fluids and she will be released soon...?
I am very worried because she has NO family....
I don’t think she can live alone any more.
And I KNOW she doesn’t want to go to a nursing home.
With that in mind I have been looking for “in home nursing care” for her.
If she gets released from the hospital soon , no one is there to take care of her ???
See what I mean !!
Insurance companies—
Doctors—
to me....
They will always be “in it” for the money.
No one cares about you when you leave the hospitals...
Perfect example : physical therapy.
Seems to be “you’re all better”
When the insurance is used up.
If the insurance company only pays for six visits ....
guess what ..???
now by God‘s miracle you’re fixed in six visits!!
Meanwhile you go home with a limp...

I am so sorry to throw this on here like this but I needed you guys to know WHY I haven’t been updating Sally’s condition.?
Thanks for letting me rant..
It Beats crying..?

P.S.- husband went upstate to fix house for summer for the whole weekend. Leaving me alone to deal with all of this!
I think I am SO upset , that it’s even past crying at this point.. ?
I am numb .... just zombie-like numb...
Zombie ?‍♀️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you for caring so much!!!!! ??
I DO have an update!!! ?

Update : yesterday Sally ate a whole LARGE plate of GRASS with some lettuce bits mixed in!!!
SHE DID THAT TWICE !!!!
and TODAY : she has eaten ONE full plate
So far. But I am confident that she will eat another at dinner time.. ?

I did notice though, when I was feeding her both times, I happen to be under a “spot light”. It was my husbands work light that he forgot to take down.
It was like she could see better!??
Could this be a problem with eye sight?
Then when we were done, she wanted nothing to do with light again... walked right over to the tub and was banging on it until I gave in (about 15mins). I didn’t want to make her stress even more....
So back in the tub she went, with warm/hotter water and lights out..small t.v.
on low with cartoons on..?

I am trying everything I know .
I am certain the food she HAS eaten would cause a poop.. so that may be my next update.. NOT YET THOUGH!

I am still baffled at why she will not go into her night box with the heat??
Nothing has changed to it ??
Same night box she ADORED in March, April,May....
Any suggestion??
I take ALL advice!!! ❤️

Now on to little Gary.
He is a DOLL!!!
Last night I caught him sitting on a bridge in his tank staring over at the weird big rock in the tub..?
I don’t know if he was singing to her
“Twinkle twinkle little star” OR
If he was telling her off????
Either way, I was just glad that he was looking in great shape for a 3 year old garden snail. ??❤️

Now... on to you and Zola. I love that name!
How are you both today? Is the weather any better? Tell me everything!!! ?
Here it is crazy cold, hot , 63 degrees in the morning 92 degrees at night! ?

And finally, I have to ask for apologies from all of you!!!!
I have not left an update every day about Sally because ....
on Tuesday my friend and neighbor (an older lady) was taken in an ambulance at 11:30pm.
I had to call everywhere to find where they had taken her the next day.
When I finally found her in a hospital,
I was told I was not “family” and was not allowed any information.
Yesterday, my husband forced me to go with him to the hospital and LIE to get in.
So we did, and it actually WORKED!!!
One person said she fell
One person said she had a stroke
Finally I ..... ooopps..... pressed the “nurses button” on the bed ?
She came in the room like she was leading the party so I took advantage of her cockiness . Asked her all about what was going on.
Such a tuff guy in her own skin, she barked all the information I wanted.
Turns out....
This lady is 91, lives alone, and finally fell in the kitchen bruising her arm REALLY badly.
The diagnosis wasn’t a stroke (which is what I thought) but...
A “LOW BLOOD SODIUM”!!!???
(I’ve never heard of that one?)
She seems to be awake, slowly talking and little walking, but she seems to be very confused and forgetful??? (Isn’t that stroke signs?)
They said she just needs fluids and she will be released soon...?
I am very worried because she has NO family....
I don’t think she can live alone any more.
And I KNOW she doesn’t want to go to a nursing home.
With that in mind I have been looking for “in home nursing care” for her.
If she gets released from the hospital soon , no one is there to take care of her ???
See what I mean !!
Insurance companies—
Doctors—
to me....
They will always be “in it” for the money.
No one cares about you when you leave the hospitals...
Perfect example : physical therapy.
Seems to be “you’re all better”
When the insurance is used up.
If the insurance company only pays for six visits ....
guess what ..???
now by God‘s miracle you’re fixed in six visits!!
Meanwhile you go home with a limp...

I am so sorry to throw this on here like this but I needed you guys to know WHY I haven’t been updating Sally’s condition.?
Thanks for letting me rant..
It Beats crying..?

P.S.- husband went upstate to fix house for summer for the whole weekend. Leaving me alone to deal with all of this!
I think I am SO upset , that it’s even past crying at this point.. ?
I am numb .... just zombie-like numb...
Zombie ?‍♀️
I know what you mean. I won't cry because my nose gets plugged up and then my breathing is worse then ever. And those heppa laws won't allow friends to get in contact with each other even if they're on their death bed. I know of married people that couldn't find their dying spouse. That law is not being enforced right. I couldn't even be told of my mother's condition while dying because she didn't know what she was signing. I'll be hoping and praying for her. It wouldn't be fair for them to just send her off to a nursing home. It's cheaper to do home health anyway.?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know what you mean. I won't cry because my nose gets plugged up and then my breathing is worse then ever. And those heppa laws won't allow friends to get in contact with each other even if they're on their death bed. I know of married people that couldn't find their dying spouse. That law is not being enforced right. I couldn't even be told of my mother's condition while dying because she didn't know what she was signing. I'll be hoping and praying for her. It wouldn't be fair for them to just send her off to a nursing home. It's cheaper to do home health anyway.?

Thank you for that Cathy.
I am soooo sorry for what you went through, and you WERE FAMILY!
It is so upsetting knowing what they DONT do for older people.
I don’t want this beautiful sweet lady to feel she has no family or anyone whom cares.
I cannot even imagine those who have died alone with no one at the funeral. HORRIFYING!!! I will not let this happen!
I am positive her late husband would be by her side if he could be.. ☹️
I am so mad and terrified (at the same time) with death now.
I never used to care.
I know we all gotta go.. I just never thought about anyone going with no one to even know they existed!!?? ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you for that Cathy.
I am soooo sorry for what you went through, and you WERE FAMILY!
It is so upsetting knowing what they DONT do for older people.
I don’t want this beautiful sweet lady to feel she has no family or anyone whom cares.
I cannot even imagine those who have died alone with no one at the funeral. HORRIFYING!!! I will not let this happen!
I am positive her late husband would be by her side if he could be.. ☹️
I am so mad and terrified (at the same time) with death now.
I never used to care.
I know we all gotta go.. I just never thought about anyone going with no one to even know they existed!!?? ?
You managed to get in to see her and got information too. That's almost unheard of. Someone special is helping you and her already.?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Chef - Sally definitely sounds a lot better, and I am so glad - also glad to hear that Gary is doing well - it is getting late here, but tomorrow I will find a photo of our little rescued toad, which I think you will like - he was very beautiful !
Your neighbour seems to be having a very bad time - what are heppa laws?
I don't know how you cope with all this anxiety - you must be a very strong person, even if you don't think you are .
Take care of yourself
Angie xx

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dear Chef - Sally definitely sounds a lot better, and I am so glad - also glad to hear that Gary is doing well - it is getting late here, but tomorrow I will find a photo of our little rescued toad, which I think you will like - he was very beautiful !
Your neighbour seems to be having a very bad time - what are heppa laws?
I don't know how you cope with all this anxiety - you must be a very strong person, even if you don't think you are .
Take care of yourself
Angie xx
I can't hardly wait for a picture of your toad. I love toads. The heppa laws actually started because of abuses of people's privacy.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can't hardly wait for a picture of your toad. I love toads. The heppa laws actually started because of abuses of people's privacy.
However, I really think that a lot of the people using them don't know how. You can't believe what I've been through with my privacy being violated and them saying that they can't do anything because of those laws. When I go to a hospital I tell them you can tell my worst enemy I'm here. Do not apply that law to me!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
You managed to get in to see her and got information too. That's almost unheard of. Someone special is helping you and her already.?
In large part, once you do what you think is right by putting an elderly person in long-term "assisted" living or now just the hospital, you give up your right to even get a call from the dr. about your loved one's condition. That's what happened to my father-in-law. It happened in both Wyoming & Colorado facilities, & the 2 states are political opposites. It doesn't matter too much after they admit you what your living will says. And since hospital visits are still restricted, it's very hard to get answers.

Please don't give up but don't let it upset you. We don't give up. When momentarily "stopped," we go around the obstacle and tackle the problem differently. That's the way we have to do things these days.

Meanwhile, at least Sally is eating.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
In large part, once you do what you think is right by putting an elderly person in long-term "assisted" living or now just the hospital, you give up your right to even get a call from the dr. about your loved one's condition. That's what happened to my father-in-law. It happened in both Wyoming & Colorado facilities, & the 2 states are political opposites. It doesn't matter too much after they admit you what your living will says. And since hospital visits are still restricted, it's very hard to get answers.

Please don't give up but don't let it upset you. We don't give up. When momentarily "stopped," we go around the obstacle and tackle the problem differently. That's the way we have to do things these days.

Meanwhile, at least Sally is eating.

Thank you!
I am doing my best just to let her know she is NOT alone with no one coming in the form of family.
When it’s time to send her somewhere I will try to inform the doctor she has no family and lives alone. To get someone in there to live and care for her would be a dream come true for her (and me). Then I could visit her across the street all of the time like I used to. At least till she gets her will or papers in order. I only wish the best for this lady no matter what her decisions. I will back her up completely. As long as no one takes advantage of the situation.
Then my “ Joker” attitude will show its ugly face.

Update : Sally has now eaten 3 HUGE platters of grass and lettuce. (More grass than lettuce) and I couldn’t be more proud!
How is it that I want to be happy and very sad at the same time?

Happy for Sally?
Sad for my neighbor and ?
Extremely Sad for Snoopymom. ??

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Chef - I hope Sally will do her best to make you feel better by eating at least five helpings of grass and lettuce today. I am hoping that my story about Bonus the toad will also make you feel a bit better...
First - his name. A long time ago now, I was teaching in a school in the East End of London - an area which was fairly deprived in many ways, one of which was that the children had very little contact with animals - a little boy brought in a toad which his father had found. The class was so excited to see it - and so was I in fact ! His father had named this toad Bonus, which I thought was the perfect name for him, and I decided that if I ever had a toad, that I would call him Bonus too.
One cold dark night,several years ago, my husband Richard, was about to come in the back door of our house in Devon, when he almost stepped on a small lump outside on the concrete - but it moved! He picked up, and brought to inside to the light, and we discovered it was a very small toad. We decided we needed to look after him, if we could - he would have died where he was, or been caught bone of the stray cats around. We had a fairly small tank for him , and I had a book about frogs and toads, in which I learned they could eat live mealworms- luckily,we had some in our fridge to feed the robins in the garden. So we set up a little place for him - and, of course, we named him Bonus.
He lived with us for 2 years, getting much bigger and fatter - Richard would patiently hand-feed him mealworms, and he became quite friendly. I would spend ages just looking at his golden agate eyes - he was truly beautiful.
Sadly ,he stopped eating and eventually died - we made a little Viking style raft, with incense sticks at each corner, and floated him off down a nearby river.
I know now we probably didn't look after him the best way we should, but we loved him very much, and he seemed to like being with us.
So, after that long explanation, here he is .... or will be, once I can work out how to send photos .I believe I have to start a new thread for this - I am so sorry -I will try to do that now.
Angie

Thank you!
I am doing my best just to let her know she is NOT alone with no one coming in the form of family.
When it’s time to send her somewhere I will try to inform the doctor she has no family and lives alone. To get someone in there to live and care for her would be a dream come true for her (and me). Then I could visit her across the street all of the time like I used to. At least till she gets her will or papers in order. I only wish the best for this lady no matter what her decisions. I will back her up completely. As long as no one takes advantage of the situation.
Then my “ Joker” attitude will show its ugly face.

Update : Sally has now eaten 3 HUGE platters of grass and lettuce. (More grass than lettuce) and I couldn’t be more proud!
How is it that I want to be happy and very sad at the same time?

Happy for Sally?
Sad for my neighbor and ?
Extremely Sad for Snoopymom. ??

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry Chef - Cannot work out how to add the photos of Bonus, so I will have to wait until someone who knows what to do sees this
HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP ! ! ! ! !

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Sorry Chef - Cannot work out how to add the photos of Bonus, so I will have to wait until someone who knows what to do sees this
HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP ! ! ! ! !
At the center of the reply box there is a wee rudimentary graphic of a mountain and the sun. Click that to upload images from your device...

zolasmum

5 Year Member
At the center of the reply box there is a wee rudimentary graphic of a mountain and the sun. Click that to upload images from your device...
I don't have a device, if you mean a mobile phone, only my computer, on which I am writing this. The photos are on files in my email stuff.
Sorry, I am pretty dim about this sort of thing.
Angie

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I don't have a device, if you mean a mobile phone, only my computer, on which I am writing this. The photos are on files in my email stuff.
Sorry, I am pretty dim about this sort of thing.
Angie
No worries. Device = whatever, desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, psychic energy field...

If the photos are part of emails, you have to move the photos out of your emails to files inside the computer.

The reply box you type on to make a forum post -- at the top is a row of letters and squiggly stuff. At the very center of those icons is a rectangle that looks like a photo of a mountain and the sun. When you scroll over it, it will say "Insert image (Ctrl+P)". You click that to upload images (photos). It will say "Drop image (or click here)". Click there and it will open your computer's file menu.

That button has been glitching lately and you may have to post photos alone in an empty text box before you type any text (don't type - add the photo first, then type).

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello Chef - I hope Sally will do her best to make you feel better by eating at least five helpings of grass and lettuce today. I am hoping that my story about Bonus the toad will also make you feel a bit better...
First - his name. A long time ago now, I was teaching in a school in the East End of London - an area which was fairly deprived in many ways, one of which was that the children had very little contact with animals - a little boy brought in a toad which his father had found. The class was so excited to see it - and so was I in fact ! His father had named this toad Bonus, which I thought was the perfect name for him, and I decided that if I ever had a toad, that I would call him Bonus too.
One cold dark night,several years ago, my husband Richard, was about to come in the back door of our house in Devon, when he almost stepped on a small lump outside on the concrete - but it moved! He picked up, and brought to inside to the light, and we discovered it was a very small toad. We decided we needed to look after him, if we could - he would have died where he was, or been caught bone of the stray cats around. We had a fairly small tank for him , and I had a book about frogs and toads, in which I learned they could eat live mealworms- luckily,we had some in our fridge to feed the robins in the garden. So we set up a little place for him - and, of course, we named him Bonus.
He lived with us for 2 years, getting much bigger and fatter - Richard would patiently hand-feed him mealworms, and he became quite friendly. I would spend ages just looking at his golden agate eyes - he was truly beautiful.
Sadly ,he stopped eating and eventually died - we made a little Viking style raft, with incense sticks at each corner, and floated him off down a nearby river.
I know now we probably didn't look after him the best way we should, but we loved him very much, and he seemed to like being with us.
So, after that long explanation, here he is .... or will be, once I can work out how to send photos .I believe I have to start a new thread for this - I am so sorry -I will try to do that now.
Angie

Dear Angie,

I LOVED THAT WHOLE STORY!!! (Except for the death ???)
How do you know you were not keeping him correctly? Maybe they only have a short life span??

What a very interesting and fascinating little toad Bonus turned out to be.
I wish I could have met such a wonderful pet!!!
How extraordinary.... that he made you and your husband so filled with joy!!
I am CERTAIN he was in awe of you both for your caring nature.
I mean ... isn’t it sooo neat that even the tiniest of animals can bring such enormous love out for them???♥️♥️♥️♥️

Gary is a character, I tell ya.
He will crawl up and down my hand; back to front on our “date” days..?
(Yes, I insist he gets a “date” day as I am always consumed with Sally. Don’t want him to keel over from jealousy.. it wouldn’t be right.)

He also watches t.v. ?
His favorite show is Dr. Phil. ?
(In the US this is a reality show where Dr.Phil is a psychiatrist who solves people’s problems.. ?) don’t ask.... ?
Turns out its Sally’s favorite too!!
(She just likes his bald head).?
so at least that’s sorted itself out so there is no fighting for the remote. ?

Don’t misunderstand, I am not sitting there staring at them watching the t.v.
I am usually dancing about with my ear phones on to some disco music cleaning the house.!! Singing like I have a good voice..? ?

Now...an

UPDATE : today Sally ate a HUGE platter of Grass and some lettuce again with pealed carrots mixed in.
Wanted more!!!! But I ran out!
I wasn’t expecting her to eat so much yesterday and now I have to run to the store!! ?

Last night she had diarrhea.. ?
And this morning... more diarrhea...
And I saw a little yellow in her urates this morning??????
The last time she pooped I remember telling you all it was a perfect Sulcata poop!

What happened? ?
What am I doing wrong now???? ?