Time/amount of food affecting activity levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Has anyone ever noticed a correlation between the time of feeding and activity levels?

I find with Tina, that she is very active until she is fed. Once she eats, she basks for about an hour, then digs in to sleep away the day. This is when I am feeding her around 7:30am. Her lights come on about an hour before this, so I would say she is probably up for about 50 minutes prior to eating.

I have adjusted the amount she is fed multiple times. I thought at first, she was over eating, which resulted in laziness. I have played around with the lighting. But, she always did the same thing, eat, bask, sleep.

I have now taken to feeding her later and later in the day. She always remains very active until she is finished eating. A good three four hours of romping, climbing and no doubt looking for food.

I was curious if anyone else noticed a relationship between time of feedings and activity levels.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
That is pretty much the norm- torts are programmed to hunt for food, gorge on what they find, then sleep/digest.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
That really interesting actually im going to try that with my RT who just seems to be really lethargic atm and only comes out to eat then its right back to digging. As its only been a recent development Iv been pretty confused as she used to be more active, but we used to give her a little bit of food more often, but we thought we might be overfeeding her... but of course she would be more active because she knew more food was arriving.... :D perfect :D we shall try cutting her daily portion (size of the shell) down into very small portions at regular intervals for a week and see if we can drag her out of her bed a bit more, as at the moment unless shes outside when its warm enough, shes asleep and its been quite worrying!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Find food. Eat it. Warm up. Rest. Repeat.

Wish my life was that simple....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is really no reason to make more work for yourself by offering more feedings during the day- they are perfectly happy doing one big meal and sleeping for about 10-15 hours a day.

It is FAR more important to ensure they are getting a good diet and have places they can explore and move in when they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.