Tile floor?

Booker's Sue

Location (City and/or State)
SF East Bay
I've recently come into a stash of marble tile. I'm considering trying to reclaim a portion of a chicken barn once used to stable a horse. It's a good space beyond Booker's yard. If I could transform it into new winter digs for him, he could have year-round access to his yard. But this barn has been through a bad rat infestation. I would want to remove all the old flooring and thoroughly clean the tile that's been stored there. I don't know if I could ever feel it's clean enough. But if I could, how would a Sulcata do with marble tiles for flooring? He would not be able to burrow through them, but he'd have a heat mat and I could throw straw over the tiles for texture.
???

Attachments

• 1599541852447.jpeg
    1599541852447.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 222A5854-D36A-4963-B493-BC6DC5CFE9ED.jpeg
    222A5854-D36A-4963-B493-BC6DC5CFE9ED.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 16

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I've recently come into a stash of marble tile. I'm considering trying to reclaim a portion of a chicken barn once used to stable a horse. It's a good space beyond Booker's yard. If I could transform it into new winter digs for him, he could have year-round access to his yard. But this barn has been through a bad rat infestation. I would want to remove all the old flooring and thoroughly clean the tile that's been stored there. I don't know if I could ever feel it's clean enough. But if I could, how would a Sulcata do with marble tiles for flooring? He would not be able to burrow through them, but he'd have a heat mat and I could throw straw over the tiles for texture.
???

I don't think it'll be good for the tortoise to constantly walk around on marble tile flooring. Not only will your tortoise not have enough traction but his or her legs and joints are going to suffer in the long run while trying to support that large frame. No amount of straw on top of tile is going to replicate the cushioning they would get from plain old dirt.

Booker's Sue

SF East Bay
Good point, thanks. I'm also concerned about the aftermath of all those rats having been there in the past.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
???
You have a great looking tortoise! In my opinion I don't think that the tile would work for a tortoise. I honestly think you should stay away from that because the smoothness of the tile will promote slipping and possibly joint and muscle problems, which we want to stay away from.

Booker's Sue

SF East Bay
You have a great looking tortoise! In my opinion I don't think that the tile would work for a tortoise. I honestly think you should stay away from that because the smoothness of the tile will promote slipping and possibly joint and muscle problems, which we want to stay away from.
Thanks Saleena. The responses have persuaded me. Anybody need some nice tile for cheap? ; )