Thor's wiggly butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
I have been working on Thor's outside enclosure and I let him check it out. He was checking every inch out and loving it. Right now it is a lot of dirt and I had just hosed it down, so he got muddy. When I went to hose him off he did the cutest butt wiggle. Then my daughter would scratch his butt and he would stand on his tippy toes and would do the butt wiggle. Does your torts do these?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...Ax2pxc6s&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

BriBri

5 Year Member
Never seen that before .. Mine wiggles just her tail ..

Sent from my SM-T310 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Will said:
That behavior indicates your tortoise is interpreting the sensations as if another tortoise is trying to mount. It means get off.

Will

Exactly. The "headache" shimmy.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Sorta like the waitress that drops the coffee 'cause some jackass pinched her toosh?

Use the hose in a different way and you will get a very different reaction, a gentle spary over the entire area that the tortoise is in, all around by several feet, then it will think it is in a "rain". After the initial head pull-in and hiss, it will relax and often extend all limbs, potentially standing on toes with neck outstretched.

Larger tortoises like adult galops and aldabras will come to you when they see a hose being pulled out.

Likewise stubborn tortoises that don't want to go in their night house can be prompted to move along with a gentle back scratch on the rear 1/4 of the carapace or on their inner thighs.

If you are going to elicit a natural behavior, bridge it to some benefit for the animal.

Will

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
My Zeus does this when I rub his shell or back area ...he gets all mad and huffy but does that same wiggle ...idk it is funny tho..so since I think zeus doesn't like it I don't do it..different for everyone tho

Will said:
That behavior indicates your tortoise is interpreting the sensations as if another tortoise is trying to mount. It means get off.

Will

Okay all light bulbs lite up in my head DUH now it makes since why he acts like an *** when I do that lol

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
A few times I saw my tortoise do the wiggele against a branch, as if he was scratching his butt. :p

Sadly I was always too late to grab my camera.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
peasinapod said:
A few times I saw my tortoise do the wiggele against a branch, as if he was scratching his butt. :p

I have seen large aquatic species like Podocnemis and Dermatemys do this where they have been provided with submerge branches. They will often push themselves into the branches to lodge themselves in place. When they have done that, sometimes, rarely they will hold fast with rear or front legs a writhe about.

Will

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Will said:
peasinapod said:

I have seen large aquatic species like Podocnemis and Dermatemys do this where they have been provided with submerge branches. They will often push themselves into the branches to lodge themselves in place. When they have done that, sometimes, rarely they will hold fast with rear or front legs a writhe about.

Will

That sounds too cute and funny! xD

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have one of the ruffian redfoot torts here that will do this...he walks up to my hand and backs up to it and starts this jig....he really gets grooving if I use my nails and rub his shell----very funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.