Thor's vet re-check tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Modesto (Northern) California
Thor visits his doctor tomorrow for a re-check and new X-ray. He still hadn't eaten and was only sleeping. I soaked him for an hour today but i put the calcium in his water since it was impossible orally. Hope he got some in his system. I finally put him out back in his yard that he loves so much. He was making tracks all over. He was so happy. I even caught him nibbling at the grass and clover!! Omg..I should have done that days ago but was trying to follow vet orders. Sometimes mom knows best. I know his behavior best and I was literally terrified he wasn't going to make it to tomorrow. Today I feel much better but I know we're not out of the woods yet. So, I'm thinking of converting my dog house to his night time home. (even though i just built his new enclosure. Lol). I want to put his whole set up in there and see how he does overnight. I'm going to mention it to his dr tomorrow but it's always better to ask the experts here.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm glad Thor's making progress.

Joe was a terrible in-patient too, although nowhere near as sick as poor Thor.

Joe's dog kennel, picture below, has definitely made a difference. It's been lined with insulating material and has a heat lamp hanging from a stand on a timer in side.

I put a small dark coloured paving slab under the lamp which holds the heat and Joe loves to sprawl on it as it warms up. He has water in there, but no food. I put that outside because he leaves as soon as he's warm.

The plastic curtain over the door helps to keep the heat in and the rain out... it doesn't seem to cause Joe any problems with using the door.

Tort003c.jpg

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Wow. Thanks Joesmum. I love that set up. He looks very happy. Couple questions if you don't mind. Does he stay outside overnight? How old is he? Where do you live? What kind of temperatures. I live in Norther California. Our day temps will be in the mid 90's all week (we've just gotten over a heat wave with 2 weeks of triple digits and man was Thor happy). Our overnight temps this week will be low 60's. But with his heat, and his beloved slate tile slab, I'm thinking he'll do ok). Thor's only 1yr but I was thinking of covering the opening just for nighttime so I'm sure he stays where it's warm. Your thoughts?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I live in the UK, so the temperatures are nothing like yours. We think 90F is too hot! :D

Once it gets to that sort of level Joe retreats to the shade until things start to cool down a little. His favourite shelter from the sun spot is under our clematis. He likes to eat it, so he can shelter from the heat and have a snack when he feels like it!

Joe is outside every night and will do so until there's a risk of frost. He is a Greek (roughly 50 years old) not a Sulcata mind you! he weighs about 6.5lb and measures about 10.5 inches long.

On the chilliest mornings it takes 2-3 hours under the lamp to get him going. I move him into the kennel from his chosen sleeping spot when I go to bed; if I do it before it gets dark, he goes walkabout!

The only predatory risk round here is red foxes and he's too big now for them to bother with him.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
We live 2 blocks from the river so I know there's lots of critters about. I see them dead on the busy road occasionally. Never have I known them to be in the neighborhood, but then again, I've never had reason to notice. I'm brainstorming on the best way to make a secure door for the opening. You have been wonderful & I truly appreciate your help. Thanks a million and one. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some sort of board across the doorway, perhaps secured with bolts is probably all you need to keep critters out. You can then take it off in the morning... ideally before your tort decides it's time to go for a stroll!

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Yes. That's what I was thinking. Maybe put it on hinges and a lock so it can swing open & shut. I just checked on him & found this to my surprise...
This is the first time he's come out of his hide on his own and the way he's all sprawled out, I almost thought he was dead. Can't wait for vet at 10. I'll post the great news ASAP. That's what I'm claiming right now. It's going to be great news. I receive it. :)

image-1160236164.png

I was shocked to see this. :)

Attachments

• image-3652554136.png
    image-3652554136.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.