This doesnt look okay

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Is that a sulcata and how old did they say it was? Cause that is from the eggs and is almost completely healed. Good breeders make sure it is healed before selling

Zoeclare

Uk
How long have you had the tort? I'm no expert but the tortoise looks quite big to still have an open yolk scar?

Zoeclare

Uk
I'm not really sure what it could be, sometimes the yolk scar can heal a bit wrinkly if the baby was started dry but I'm not sure what the black bit is. Do you soak the tort daily? What substrate is he on?

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!
South chesterfield Virginia
I'm not really sure what it could be, sometimes the yolk scar can heal a bit wrinkly if the baby was started dry but I'm not sure what the black bit is. Do you soak the tort daily? What substrate is he on?
His substrate is organic soil and cypress mulch and i soak him every couple days because I have work im trying to do it more often tho

Zoeclare

Uk
Weird question but is there any odour from the area on the tortoise? I'm just wondering if there could be infection, I'm also going to tag @Tom because I'm just guessing and he has tons of experience! I don't want to give you bad advice.

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!
Weird question but is there any odour from the area on the tortoise? I'm just wondering if there could be infection, I'm also going to tag @Tom because I'm just guessing and he has tons of experience! I don't want to give you bad advice.
No there's no smell from the area but it looks really crusty in there

Zoeclare

Uk
Yes I see what you mean I zoomed in on the picture, could be some substrate in there maybe but I'm just not confident to say what to do. I would just keep soaking daily and hopefully someone with more experience will have better advice. Sorry I couldn't be more help for your little guy!

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!
Yes I see what you mean I zoomed in on the picture, could be some substrate in there maybe but I'm just not confident to say what to do. I would just keep soaking daily and hopefully someone with more experience will have better advice. Sorry I couldn't be more help for your little guy!
Thank you

zovick

10 Year Member!
The area doesn't look normal for a baby which is several months old. IE, it should be totally healed over and not even noticeable by this time. On the other hand, I don't see redness around the area, nor does it seem to be "weeping" any fluids which would indicate an infection.

If the tortoise is acting normally, I would say that soaking it daily and feeding it a good healthy diet with plenty of Rep-cal WITH Vitamin D3 sprinkled on it to help the tortoise grow the bone necessary to heal that area completely would be adequate treatment at this point.

Good luck!

Tortoiseguy804

Today is my birthday!
The area doesn't look normal for a baby which is several months old. IE, it should be totally healed over and not even noticeable by this time. On the other hand, I don't see redness around the area, nor does it seem to be "weeping" any fluids which would indicate an infection.

If the tortoise is acting normally, I would say that soaking it daily and feeding it a good healthy diet with plenty of Rep-cal WITH Vitamin D3 sprinkled on it to help the tortoise grow the bone necessary to heal that area completely would be adequate treatment at this point.

Good luck!
I currently feed him collard greens, cucumbers, and i take him outside and let him eat a few times a week, I just ordered him some original mazuri tortoise diet as well

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Do you mind sharing where your little one came from? It might or might not matter, but the context may help us advise you on whether there's anything you may need to keep an eye out for. :)