Thinking of switching to 'Toroise food'

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy.fredrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
So I was at the pet store buying some cuttle bone for my Russians and came across this and was wondering if feeding this to them would be nice. I probably wouldn't only be feeding them this tortoise food but maybe add it to there food occasionally. Any opinions? It's repcal incase you couldn't see it in the picture

Attachments

• image-1640204202.png
    image-1640204202.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

theelectraco

5 Year Member
That stuff is absolute crap. Full of corn. If you want to add a packaged food I would try Zoo Med as a treat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have yet to find anyone who thinks that it's a good idea to feed that product. Plus it says it has added fruit on the label. Not good for most species, including Russians.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Some people get very extreme as far as what they fees their animals, sometimes its a little oveboard, but with the best intentions. My only rule with my dog and ferret food is that it has to be made in USA and.it cant have any by products or fillers. I prefer grain free but its not a must.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
chrissy.fredrick said:
So I was at the pet store buying some cuttle bone for my Russians and came across this and was wondering if feeding this to them would be nice. I probably wouldn't only be feeding them this tortoise food but maybe add it to there food occasionally. Any opinions? It's repcal incase you couldn't see it in the picture

When my daughter brought our Redfoot home they sold her that same thing, and said this and a piece of lettuce was all he needed ... Well needless to say he never ate that stuff I even tried soaking it. Then I researched and found what he really should have been eating and I now have a happy health tort! I say take it back!

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
I use this product. 1-2 times a week I hide 2-3 of these pellets around his enclosure. He must love them because he sniffs them out and has a nice little snack. The have done no harm as of yet. They must have a lot of fruit in them because they smell like fruit loops.:tort:

IMG_0073_zps9056c7e6.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
cjcantelon said:
I use this product. 1-2 times a week I hide 2-3 of these pellets around his enclosure. He must love them because he sniffs them out and has a nice little snack. The have done no harm as of yet. They must have a lot of fruit in them because they smell like fruit loops.:tort:

Do fruit loops have any fruit in them? Lol.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
No, its not ok for him to do it either. However, there is no reason for members that should know better to go off-topic to answer out of their pride. I will blame members that should know much better then to indulge in the same behavior, as you are now doing yourself.
Whether it was brought to this thread or not does not mean it should be answered. If we all have something to say about the product in question, lets voice it...If not, then I think we need to keep our mouths shut.
Chrissy, the fat and protein content in the food is to high, for one. The ingredients are not very impressive, and I've never heard good reviews about the food. I would not recommend feeding it, but there are other good "chow" type foods on the market. Mazuri, marion food sticks, and zoomed are all acceptable.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Most importantly. Welcome to the Tortoise Forum Chrissy. As a newer member myself I can say if you can put up with a little Craziness you'll find a wealth of good info here. Some people even like each other. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
RedfootsRule said:
Chrissy, the fat and protein content in the food is to high, for one. The ingredients are not very impressive, and I've never heard good reviews about the food. I would not recommend feeding it, but there are other good "chow" type foods on the market. Mazuri, marion food sticks, and zoomed are all acceptable.

How are you deciding that the fat and protein content is too high? Therefore the foods you listed as acceptable have less of both? I believe Mazuri is comparable, and Marion is higher.

What is it about the acceptable foods' ingredients that impress you compared to this food?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay all debate about Purina is now moved to the debate section. Please reframe from name calling, ect. Debate the topic, not each other personally.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
So . I stopped reading the argument lol. It got tiresome . Any ways as I said before. I use this product, maybe over 5 months now, annnnnnd have had no problems. It should be used mostly as a treat because as I am aware a tortoise should be fed dark greens and wildflowers. This contains fruit and fruits as I have been informed should be fed sparingly . Also my little guy loves it . :) . I feel very comfort using this product ( one mans opinion). If you have never had any experience with this product I cannot see how you can say it is unsuitable?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I believe it is unsuitable because of the low quality of the food. It may be just as good as mazuri; however, unlike mazuri, we have limited reviews of the product, and any I've ever seen are not-so-great. So, personally, I would deem it unacceptable until we have 10+ years of extremely positive reviews like mazuri :). Most of the food appears to be corn, which is indigestible and nutritionally unacceptable.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
theelectraco said:
That stuff is absolute crap. Full of corn. If you want to add a packaged food I would try Zoo Med as a treat.

Corn is also one of Mazuri's top ingredients after soybean hulls. I can't even pronounce the majority of ingredients in it.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Very true, corn is the second ingredient in Mazuri. However, it must be taken into account that, just like grains, corn CAN be processed to release the nutrients....Grains are also indigestible to humans, but we remove what keeps the nutrients from being released, and therefore it becomes digestible and nutritious.
Bottom line, I trust the folks at mazuri. They've been doing this for 20 years now, and make some very good foods. Zoo-med makes some good ones to, such as grassland, but this diet I don't believe to be one of them....All comes down to how the food is processed, I suppose. Now, that, you will have to ask them for :).

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Cooking/processing corn makes it digestible. One other fun part about corn other than its lack of expense is the jelly quality it has. This helps to bind other ingredients making the whole kibble process possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.