Thinking about Leopards

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm seriously considering making a separate addition to my Redfoot pen and getting a trio of Leopard tortoises.
From what I can tell, keeping them would be similar to my Redfoot. But with a different diet and a bit more sun.
Can anyone suggest why it would be a bad idea?
I may have overlooked something.
It's warm, high humidity and sunny.
Thank you.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Your mind thinks Leopards...but your heart screams GREEKS! [emoji23]

I actually have a leopard, just one, and they are a great species too [emoji6][emoji106]

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I’ve been raising leopards for 19 years. I love my Leopards ! Yes I still like my other torts also , but not like the leopards . You know how you just watch your grandchild sleeping how peasefully the child looks all comfy under the blankets . That’s the way I can just watch my Leopards while they are eating. Or watching a female laying her eggs can take what seams to be hours . You cannt do that with Russians or Greeks!dont get me Wrong I like Herrmans and Marginals and Evan the Egyptians are ok . But they don’t add up to Leopards . [emoji217]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RFs have amazing personalities. From what I have seen, I rank a "typical" RF a close second to a "typical" sulcata in personality. Bold, less fearful, curious and interactive.

I think you will be disappointed by the typical shyness of a regular leopard given all the RF experience you've had. If you get mixes with some SA genetics, they will be better, but that is hit or miss. If you do it, I'd get SA leopards. Their personalities are more like what you are used to and enjoyed about your RFs. I only know of two sources the start them correctly whenever you are ready to buy, and they are seasonal and usually hatch in the fall. You should have no problem with leopards in your climate if raised from babies there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
RFs have amazing personalities. From what I have seen, I rank a "typical" RF a close second to a "typical" sulcata in personality. Bold, less fearful, curious and interactive.

I think you will be disappointed by the typical shyness of a regular leopard given all the RF experience you've had. If you get mixes with some SA genetics, they will be better, but that is hit or miss. If you do it, I'd get SA leopards. Their personalities are more like what you are used to and enjoyed about your RFs. I only know of two sources the start them correctly whenever you are ready to buy, and they are seasonal and usually hatch in the fall. You should have no problem with leopards in your climate if raised from babies there.
I'm in contact with Southern Reptiles.
He's a local breeder.
Several attempts at purchasing RF from a very nice, fellow TFO member have not worked out.
So I'm thinking new species.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a Male leopard roughly 12 inches now, hes like a big puppy dog and follows me around, loves pets on the head. My younger yearling leopard I have is shy and avoid any attention. Just depends on the tortoise but they can have personality.

Kyle