A question about pairs of leopard torts.

TortMomma

So after rehoming the sulcata and my family being upset. I'm now looking into getting a new tortoise or two. I would love a species that eventually got large, but now sulcata large, so I was thinking a leopard would be a good choice. Plus they're beautiful. I also like the idea that they can be kept with other leopards. So I've been looking into adopting a pair of hatchlings. Is there anything I need to know about keeping them together? I don't want to go ahead an purchase them and find out I need two separate large enclosures along with the two enclosures I already have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You just may need two separate enclosures. The only way I've been able to keep more than one tortoise in the same habitat is outside in a large, well-planted habitat. Two tortoises living in an indoor habitat hardly ever works out...regardless of the species.

TortMomma

Thanks for the input!! They would definitely be housed indoors as hatchlings and in the fall/winter as I live in PA. I do have two tortoise pens outside, one of which is used by my russian, and some space to build another.
Also is there any rather large species I should consider looking into?

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Penny- Eastern Box turtle hatchling
Poppy- Russian tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The leopard is the fourth largest, so unless you go with a sully, the leopard is the largest there is without going sully size. However, the Babcocki are smaller of the two subspecies. If I were you, unless you do want multiples, I would get three right off the bat. However, if you end up with three males, they would all have to be separated, so one might be best.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Having housed multiple Leopards in multiple numbers (alone, pairs, trios, groups) I recommend you get just 1.

Even if you get a trio to keep multiples together as hatchlings...eventually gender will play a role in determining if they can stay in the same enclosure or if they need to be separated.
If you have 1 male, 2 females are you up for breeding?
If you have 2 males, 1 female are you up for 3 enclosures?
If you have 3 males they might live ok together, they might not.
If you have 3 females they most likely will live together but possibly not.

The only way to guarantee needing just 1 enclosure is to get just 1 Leopard.
They are beautiful and you won't regret it. You'll still have your hands full keeping 1 African species warm all winter long ;)

P.s. In all my experiences pairs were the worst combination. Sometimes there was shell ramming, most of the time there wasn't..but every tine there was a clear difference in behavior from the submissive one in the pair.

TortMomma

Thanks everyone! Glad I asked!

Mommy to:
Nevan- 8yr old human
Arden- Pappillon
Ella-Chihuahua
Toby-Tortoise shell cat
Tinka- Tabby cat
Rex- Ball python
Penny- Eastern Box turtle hatchling
Poppy- Russian tortoise