The time Has come and need some help

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well, my goal of opening a zoo has become a reality. With the next 6 months we will start to occupy a 150 acres donated to us in West Austin. The transition will be very slow more than likely encompassing a few to 5 years, hopefully not the latter. But the first goal is to venture into African savanna species of mammals. So I want to plant the 50 acres used for giraffes, antelope and herd of zebras with native thorn bush and acacia trees. Does anybody know of exotic in the US dealers that sell or distribute these trees? I have grasses taken care of for now. But wanted to find some established already grown trees before trying to germinate seeds and grow them up. May be the only option. Anyways so yeah my goal when I was 18 to open a zoo before I was 30 and it seems it may come true. So look out for these new posts in the coming years of non tortoise related enclosures and animals being added. Also any pointers would be greatly appreciated. This will be set up more along the lines of a safari and free range animals and not a confined typical zoo like environment.

First plan is to establish the property with fencing suitable for split hoof and antelope(usually high fence is required as they can jump up to 13 feet without ease.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Kelly. This is quite a large endeavor your taking on. Good luck to you, and please keep us in the loop with pictures, etc. as you progress.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Oh my gosh, so amazing! Did you go to school for this? I'm hoping to attend the EATM program at Moorpark College next fall...love zoos and working with animals. So incredible that you are doing this!!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow, Kelly. This is quite a large endeavor your taking on. Good luck to you, and please keep us in the loop with pictures, etc. as you progress.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Why thanks Yvonne. For now it will be under serious construction. Slowly too. My salary already is drained with all the tortoises. But August 1st my mom and I are opening up a fruit stand and random trinket market. They make good cash flow. So hopefully the 100-200k those bring in should fund a lot of the construction. It's definitely a major turn of events. I'm very excited to get rhinos and work with them. They're very majestic animals.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My only pointer is make a fabulous tort enclosure
Well I have drawings in the works already. The tortoise building will be 18000 square feet. Divided into 4 different environments, arid, sub tropic, tropic, and a portion for the Aldabras and Galapagos. Should be great. Starting off we will open it up for ticket sales with only mammals and slowly develop a cash flow to complete it as it goes.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh my gosh, so amazing! Did you go to school for this? I'm hoping to attend the EATM program at Moorpark College next fall...love zoos and working with animals. So incredible that you are doing this!!!!
Nope didn't go to school for anything. Started working since I legally could to pay for all my tortoises when I was a kid and then went non profit my junior in high school. Here I am 28 years old and living my dream.

rednerite

This is an amazing and inspiring story! Kelly how did you go about soliciting the large land donation to get started? Was this all by word of mouth, someone you know, or did you solicit potential donors with business plans? Just curious as I have often day dreamed about starting my own sanctuary/shelter for birds and other exotic pets.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This is an amazing and inspiring story! Kelly how did you go about soliciting the large land donation to get started? Was this all by word of mouth, someone you know, or did you solicit potential donors with business plans? Just curious as I have often day dreamed about starting my own sanctuary/shelter for birds and other exotic pets.
Well it's actually a student of my moms from A&M. She inherited 450 acres west of Austin and we approached her about our future long term goals of our organization and she said well I don't know what to do with it. My grandfather gave it to me so start with 150 acres in making your safari/zoo. So that's how it happened in a nutshell. We were just going to owner purchase from her initially but she decided for us to just have it. Which is very exciting and truly inspiring. It's hard day after day getting responses from people that look at you funny when you tell them you have a non profit for turtles. But when you have rhinos, and all the zazzy stuff they ooooooo and ahhhhhh. Kinda sad really. But on the front will be the oooooooo and ahhhhhh to generate revenue. The proceeds will funnel to the needed. Will certainly be a zoo strictly focused on critically endangered and threatened species of all sorts. Should hopefully offer some salvation to the world humans have destroyed. A properly established conservation facility. Will take a lot of work and some serious help with some very smart people. I've had quite the barrage of exotic animals, but maintaining them in large scales is different.

This zoo will also be completely off grid. Total wind, solar, and hydro electric powered. It has part of the Guadalupe river on it. I've already been calculating costs with an Austin solar energy company to do the work for us. Makes a 6 figure salary seem small when planning a feat this large.

But like my grandfather said(since my dad left when I was a child) "never let any person tell you otherwise" it really is a dream. I hope I can show humanity that animals do have a chance and not to be stuck in a cage and oooooooo and ahhhhhhed over. International relationships and grassroots conservation will be a huge focus too. A plan down the line is to hopefully establish an educational institution on the property that works abroad and in depth study of animals, environment, and weather related studies pertaining to critically endangered species on our planet. Baby steps for now. Well I'm a pretty big guy, so. BIG baby steps haha.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Well it's actually a student of my moms from A&M. She inherited 450 acres west of Austin and we approached her about our future long term goals of our organization and she said well I don't know what to do with it. My grandfather gave it to me so start with 150 acres in making your safari/zoo. So that's how it happened in a nutshell. We were just going to owner purchase from her initially but she decided for us to just have it. Which is very exciting and truly inspiring. It's hard day after day getting responses from people that look at you funny when you tell them you have a non profit for turtles. But when you have rhinos, and all the zazzy stuff they ooooooo and ahhhhhh. Kinda sad really. But on the front will be the oooooooo and ahhhhhh to generate revenue. The proceeds will funnel to the needed. Will certainly be a zoo strictly focused on critically endangered and threatened species of all sorts. Should hopefully offer some salvation to the world humans have destroyed. A properly established conservation facility. Will take a lot of work and some serious help with some very smart people. I've had quite the barrage of exotic animals, but maintaining them in large scales is different.

This zoo will also be completely off grid. Total wind, solar, and hydro electric powered. It has part of the Guadalupe river on it. I've already been calculating costs with an Austin solar energy company to do the work for us. Makes a 6 figure salary seem small when planning a feat this large.

But like my grandfather said(since my dad left when I was a child) "never let any person tell you otherwise" it really is a dream. I hope I can show humanity that animals do have a chance and not to be stuck in a cage and oooooooo and ahhhhhhed over. International relationships and grassroots conservation will be a huge focus too. A plan down the line is to hopefully establish an educational institution on the property that works abroad and in depth study of animals, environment, and weather related studies pertaining to critically endangered species on our planet. Baby steps for now. Well I'm a pretty big guy, so. BIG baby steps haha.

Can I come work for you?! Hahahaha.

This is so awesome and inspiring...I am seriously so excited for you. How amazing! Good luck with everything!

rednerite

Super exciting! That's awesome you're going off the grid, we need more places like that to model the power of wind and solar energy. It's silly more buildings aren't doing it, especially in the business world. Good luck with everything!

Flipper

MO, USA
Very exciting! I'm so happy that your dream is coming true :D

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
How wonderful and exciting!! Way to go! I live in Austin and would love to check this out!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Kelly, CONGRATS. WOOHOO. I am so happy for you. Those will be some of the luckiest animals. I wish I were closer to give you a helping hand. Good luck and keep us posted.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow Kelly, CONGRATS. WOOHOO. I am so happy for you. Those will be some of the luckiest animals. I wish I were closer to give you a helping hand. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks Barb. It will take millions of dollars and lots grants and tons of work for sure. But I can do it no problem.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I lived in southwest Austin for several years, I love Austin. I would definitely start networking in Austin, there are tons of like minded people with disposable incomes. Perhaps you can ask the Austin parks and recreation or Ladybird Wild Flower Center if they have any contacts or suggestions to help fund the project.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I lived in southwest Austin for several years, I love Austin. I would definitely start networking in Austin, there are tons of like minded people with disposable incomes. Perhaps you can ask the Austin parks and recreation or Ladybird Wild Flower Center if they have any contacts or suggestions to help fund the project.
Very good idea. I worked there for 8 months not long ago. This will be exactly 1 mile south of salt lick. Very high toured area. My brother lived in Austin for many years too. That area is for sure the best place for non-profits to succeed for sure. Once we break ground (hopefully this year) we will begin our campaign for sure.