65-year-old woman has had pet tortoise 56 years

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Please enjoy. I’m more used to reading this type of article regarding a tortoise in the uk, not the US.

http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/national/65yearold-woman-has-had-pet-tortoise-56-years/714876652

By: Fiza Pirani,
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Updated: Mar 12, 2018 - 2:47 PM
Jeanna Smith, of Minnesota, first brought George the gopher tortoise home when she was only 10 years old. Now, at 65, she’s celebrating 56 years of friendship with him.

“George is probably my oldest friend,” Smith told KARE TV’s Boyd Huppert “He’s just really been a wonderful pet.”

Smith was gifted the young tortoise by the Milwaukee County Zoo at her 10th birthday party in 1962.

When she was younger, he’d ride in her bicycle basket or tag along on family vacations to Lake Michigan, and they even dressed up in matching bee costumes for Halloween.

“He doesn’t sit on your lap and can’t take him on walk, but he’s a great pet,” Kirby Smith, Jenna Smith’s husband, told KARE TV. The two met in college at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls, and together, they owned five Labradors. George has outlived them all.

But George has certainly given the Smiths a scare or two in the past, most notably when he escaped after burrowing under a fence in 1988.

According to KARE TV, kids in the neighborhood and a TV news crew showed up to help with the search.

“I would say George is thriving,” Smith said about her beloved lettuce-and-strawberry-loving pet.

Gopher tortoises can typically live up to 80 years in the wild, but in captivity, their lifespan could stretch past 100 years, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The animals are currently protected by federal law under the Endangered Species Act in the Alabama counties west of the Mobile and Tombigbee rivers and in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Last year, the Department of Natural Resources purchased more than 3,000 acres in Georgia’s Wheeler County to create the Alligator Creek Wildlife Management Area, a protected habitat for the gopher tortoise.

“The creation of the wildlife management area is part of a larger Nature Conservancy and DNR goal to protect 100,000 acres of tortoise habitat to keep the species off the endangered list,” the AJC previously reported.
To learn more about gopher tortoises, visit fws.gov.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought they were bigger. I cringed at the food plate.
I wonder how many actually have a pet tort from childhood. I bet it's more then we think. Hope he lives a longer good life.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Please enjoy. I’m more used to reading this type of article regarding a tortoise in the uk, not the US.

http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/national/65yearold-woman-has-had-pet-tortoise-56-years/714876652

By: Fiza Pirani,
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Updated: Mar 12, 2018 - 2:47 PM
Jeanna Smith, of Minnesota, first brought George the gopher tortoise home when she was only 10 years old. Now, at 65, she’s celebrating 56 years of friendship with him.

“George is probably my oldest friend,” Smith told KARE TV’s Boyd Huppert “He’s just really been a wonderful pet.”

Smith was gifted the young tortoise by the Milwaukee County Zoo at her 10th birthday party in 1962.

When she was younger, he’d ride in her bicycle basket or tag along on family vacations to Lake Michigan, and they even dressed up in matching bee costumes for Halloween.

“He doesn’t sit on your lap and can’t take him on walk, but he’s a great pet,” Kirby Smith, Jenna Smith’s husband, told KARE TV. The two met in college at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls, and together, they owned five Labradors. George has outlived them all.

But George has certainly given the Smiths a scare or two in the past, most notably when he escaped after burrowing under a fence in 1988.

According to KARE TV, kids in the neighborhood and a TV news crew showed up to help with the search.

“I would say George is thriving,” Smith said about her beloved lettuce-and-strawberry-loving pet.

Gopher tortoises can typically live up to 80 years in the wild, but in captivity, their lifespan could stretch past 100 years, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The animals are currently protected by federal law under the Endangered Species Act in the Alabama counties west of the Mobile and Tombigbee rivers and in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Last year, the Department of Natural Resources purchased more than 3,000 acres in Georgia’s Wheeler County to create the Alligator Creek Wildlife Management Area, a protected habitat for the gopher tortoise.

“The creation of the wildlife management area is part of a larger Nature Conservancy and DNR goal to protect 100,000 acres of tortoise habitat to keep the species off the endangered list,” the AJC previously reported.
To learn more about gopher tortoises, visit fws.gov.
Fantastic! Makes me happy. I’m at the 30 year mark and at this point everyone considers Duckster family. He lives a happy life with plenty of room to exercise and explore. His girlfriend laid 2 eggs last 3rd. Really hoping fertile and healthy. Fingers crossed! Great story!

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I had Hermin when I was 6 or 7 I think. I would've loved to keep him for longer, but I guess my parents just didn't decide to put in the effort to build him a better enclosure he couldn't escape from.

It's so amazing how many people have had experience with chelonians from a young age and sometimes even still have the animal. There should be an entire section for people to share their tort stories!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My son was given full grown Mi-shell by a co worker in the 70's. The desert tortoise was disced by the rancher discing betwen his grape vines. I still have her.

Last edited: