The problem with bugs

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I introduced a handful of pill bugs last Autumn into my indoor tortoise enclosure. Now I have families of them everywhere. But, that's not my problem. Every time I go to clean up left over food, poop, or fallen plant matter they're there. I don't want to steal food from the "poor little babies" or "rip families apart" so I leave things where they are. I have to carefully inspect the water dishes before I wash them because sometimes earthworms and pill bugs are clinging to it.

So, what the heck? I was only caring for 4 tortoises and I've now added hundreds of new living creatures to keep under my protection. Human feelings are a pain, sometimes :/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kind of tortoises do you have? Box turtles would love that enclosure :) maybe you have an overpopulation because they are being fed so well. Release the bugs and worms outside, they'll probably be happy.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What kind of tortoises do you have? Box turtles would love that enclosure :) maybe you have an overpopulation because they are being fed so well. Release the bugs and worms outside, they'll probably be happy.

Redfoot. I've only had this issue for the past few weeks. It's nice to know that I have an abundance of life growing in the enclosure. I started seeing millipedes, too, even though I have no idea where they came from. Either way, my reds wouldn't mind moving snacks and my plants could use more gardeners to keep 'em happy. I just have to spend the extra time watching what I clean.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just think about the billions of microscopic animals, plants, fungi and bacteria you kill when you clean.
You have to draw a line somewhere.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I put pill bugs in my enclosures but they didn't seem to last long. There aren't any in my yard so I bought some, they're very expensive so I probably won't do it again.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where are you babysitting a box turtle? Are you still talking to that person? Take her over a care package of all those bugs. Put them in the outdoor enclosure and you will have a happy Boxturtle. Of course, you have to make sure the enclosure has what they need so they stay there and don't run away.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Just think about the billions of microscopic animals, plants, fungi and bacteria you kill when you clean.
You have to draw a line somewhere.

But I don't see the microscopic stuff. I see cute little babies wanting to live happy, full lives :p

I put pill bugs in my enclosures but they didn't seem to last long. There aren't any in my yard so I bought some, they're very expensive so I probably won't do it again.

I think pill bugs are related to things like lobsters and shrimp. They need tons of moisture to survive. It seems like if you can get those guys to survive in a redfoot environment, then you're doing a good job. But then again, I could be way off base.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Where are you babysitting a box turtle? Are you still talking to that person? Take her over a care package of all those bugs. Put them in the outdoor enclosure and you will have a happy Boxturtle. Of course, you have to make sure the enclosure has what they need so they stay there and don't run away.

That person's yard backs into the woods. I'm sure the box has tons of slugs, pill bugs, worms, etc to eat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think my box turtle ate them. And I'm not sure where they went in the Russian enclosure. It's not as humid as the box turtles enclosure was but there was still moist you're there and especially where they hide under bowls and plants etc. I am revamping my indoor enclosure so maybe once I get it all set up I'll try to get some more and see what happens.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
But I don't see the microscopic stuff. I see cute little babies wanting to live happy, full lives :p

I think pill bugs are related to things like lobsters and shrimp. They need tons of moisture to survive. It seems like if you can get those guys to survive in a redfoot environment, then you're doing a good job. But then again, I could be way off base.
Wonder what their lifespan is?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

ha de ha.
Ok.
And yes pill bugs are not bugs or lice (English- woodlice), they are Isopods a group belonging to the Crustacea, of which lobsters, shrimps, crabs and barnacles also have their own groups. They breath through gills, which must therefore be kept very wet to allow oxygen transfer, so much water is held within the body. Humidity is more important to them than water, so they tend to survive very well in tortoise conditions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I think I killed them off then. Because I did not keep up the heat and humidity in my enclosure when I move my tortoise outside for the summer. I didn't even really think about it to tell you the truth, I feel kind of bad now. If I get more, I will try to put as many as I can in the outdoor enclosure and then try to round them up again for the winter. This is sort of difficult when you can't see very well, however. I bet it's a job my friends son would love though I might have to give it a try.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, I think I killed them off then. Because I did not keep up the heat and humidity in my enclosure when I move my tortoise outside for the summer. I didn't even really think about it to tell you the truth, I feel kind of bad now. If I get more, I will try to put as many as I can in the outdoor enclosure and then try to round them up again for the winter. This is sort of difficult when you can't see very well, however. I bet it's a job my friends son would love though I might have to give it a try.
They can survive the cold ok, but yeah, humidity's a must for their whole ecosystem.