The most amazing sight ever :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Me and the wife have just got back from the best experience ever.............watching baby turtles hatch on a nearby beach and making there way down to the sea :D one word to describe it.........AMAZING!!!! Sooooo small and cute and after there little journey of making there way up thru the sand and down to the waters edge, to then take on the scary ocean..............BRAVE and only minutes after hatching!! Off to swim with wild turtles is my next thing soon :)

Oh, and forgot to say, one nest had 39 come from it and, there's more still to come from that nest, not ready yet thou, it had a bomburst of 18 at once, 18 little baby turtles :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
I have but there on my camera and can't figure out how to get them on to the forum, won't let me do it thru photobucket!! Wish I could thou, got some good ones :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay green with envy! Seeing such a site as you saw, is one of the items in my bucket list. Seeing them laid is another. Have you tried tinypics? Wonder why you have trouble with photobucket, that's how I do it.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I got to see them as a kid (we're in Florida) I'm hoping to get my partner put to the shore here soon to see em for her first time. Can't wait!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This really is a wonderful sight to see. I go every year to costa rica for the leatherbacks egg laying season, and help out at the sanctuaries with the eggs and wee ones that hatch too early if its been too hot. Its very hard to explain the sight when they lay, and hatch out and make their way to the ocean. Even a blank canvas of ocean is breath taking, but adding wee baby turtles too it is just so beautiful and words are no way to describe it, or can. Just awesome. Where were you at, what species were they?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sounds like a great experience. I've always thought it frustrating that authorities don't want us touching the hatchlings or moving them closer to the ocean so that animals of prey don't get them first.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very cool! I would love to see that myself someday! Cant wait to see pic's! :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That is too cool! That would be awsome to see.

I got to go on one of the tours once where you go with a group and see sea turtles lay eggs. We stayed out on the beach till 2 in the morning and got to see 5 sea turtles and 2 of those dig holes and lay their eggs. They didn't want us to take pics, the flash could scare them and make them stop laying. I really wanted to get pics!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortadise said:
This really is a wonderful sight to see. I go every year to costa rica for the leatherbacks egg laying season, and help out at the sanctuaries with the eggs and wee ones that hatch too early if its been too hot. Its very hard to explain the sight when they lay, and hatch out and make their way to the ocean. Even a blank canvas of ocean is breath taking, but adding wee baby turtles too it is just so beautiful and words are no way to describe it, or can. Just awesome. Where were you at, what species were they?

How do you manage to live out my fantasies??? Totally not fair! Bad enough with the sanctuary, but this too? :p :D

drgnfly2265 said:
That is too cool! That would be awsome to see.

I got to go on one of the tours once where you go with a group and see sea turtles lay eggs. We stayed out on the beach till 2 in the morning and got to see 5 sea turtles and 2 of those dig holes and lay their eggs. They didn't want us to take pics, the flash could scare them and make them stop laying. I really wanted to get pics!

I thought once they were in the laying spaced out mentality, it was safe to take pictures?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
TEE HEE. I dunno, I just do what I do. I know in costa rica your not even suppose to use flash lights whent the leatherbacks lays. You can use an infrared red light thats all. No flashes, and no Light. IF for some reason one lays during the early morning during some light they will sometimes allow photos. But the females are gaurded by armed conservancy men, so ittttts kinda nerve racking to try.

I HAAAD (very upsetting that I dont anymore) some photos of an olive ridley laying her eggs at 5 am on playa grande. But my damn computer crashed and I lost them. HOPEFULLLLLY I will get some more. ANNNNNND hopefully This member snapped some and we can see them. :):):)

yoda3106

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
TEE HEE. I dunno, I just do what I do. I know in costa rica your not even suppose to use flash lights whent the leatherbacks lays. You can use an infrared red light thats all. No flashes, and no Light. IF for some reason one lays during the early morning during some light they will sometimes allow photos. But the females are gaurded by armed conservancy men, so ittttts kinda nerve racking to try.

I HAAAD (very upsetting that I dont anymore) some photos of an olive ridley laying her eggs at 5 am on playa grande. But my damn computer crashed and I lost them. HOPEFULLLLLY I will get some more. ANNNNNND hopefully This member snapped some and we can see them. :):):)

Haha I snapped loads and I'm going thru them now but I'm really struggling to get them on here :( I really want to share them with you guys!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
yoda3106 said:
Haha I snapped loads and I'm going thru them now but I'm really struggling to get them on here :( I really want to share them with you guys!

Well keep struggling because some of us are going to be living vicariously through those photos. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.