saw the most pyramided desert torts ive ever seen

SGT Fish

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
stopped by the reptile rescue near cleveland sunday, its called Herps Alive and is a really cool place. overcrowded with water turtles but its hard for them to adopt them out, especially native species. They have a tortoise room with two large sulcatas and a huge iguana living together. the iguana pretty much stays above ground so they dont really interfere with each other. They just put in a tortoise table to permanently house a leapord that somebody gave up but pays to keep there so they cant adopt it out. This time they had two more tortoises that I had trouble identifying. Looked a lot like redfoots but without the red. Turns out they are two desert tortouses about 8" each. badly pyramided shells but surprisingly no major health problems. The story is that somebodys uncle found them in his front yard in Vegas and gave them to the owner. The poor guys never had a UVB light but were put outside enough to miraculously prevent MBD. The director said they even did a scute count to check and make sure they were desert torts. Pretty amazing how pyramided they can get.

i havent adopted anything from them yet. they have a good selection of iguanas, ball pythons and boas. I should have taken pics but I left my ohone in the car. You can look them up on facebook. I donated a few gallon bags of mazuri tortoise diet and ive bought some light fixtures and food bowls form them. I've been wanting an iguana from them but both of the ones i wanted were spoken for, and the woman wants a red igauna, which arent really the most abandoned animals

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I havery not been there in a few weeks so haven't seen those tortoises yet. I volunteer with them occasionally and have adopted a redfoot, a special needs sulcata, and a boxie from them. I really really wanted to adopt the leopard tort but he is sponsored ed. I'll be up there I the next few days to bring some Xmas lights for the tree.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I had no idea this place existed. Thank you for sharing. I will surely help them with donations.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
about 15-20 years ago iguanas worthy got toere so many of there were so many of them they were even handing them out as prizes at carnivals imagine thousands probably died long neglected deaths. as for desert tortoises even though it's illegal for them across state lines many do. I wonder do they have a lot of iguanas there? and shame on you for not taking pictures :-(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
about 15-20 years ago iguanas worthy got toere so many of there were so many of them they were even handing them out as prizes at carnivals imagine thousands probably died long neglected deaths. as for desert tortoises even though it's illegal for them across state lines many do. I wonder do they have a lot of iguanas there? and shame on you for not taking pictures :-(
There are several iguanas for adoption, yes. And hundreds of aquatic turtles. Lots of ball pythons too of course.

I believe some carnivals still have iguanas unfortunately.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like ball pythons I miss mine.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
the ohio state fair had a booth with iguanas as prizes last year. the rescue took one in that very weekend from someone who won one and realized they couldnt keep it. They have a decent amount of green iguanas. I keep eyeing one or two but havent pulled the trigger yet. the woman wants a red iguana but i really dont want to raise one from a baby especially when there are ones in need of a good home

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
the ohio state fair had a booth with iguanas as prizes last year. the rescue took one in that very weekend from someone who won one and realized they couldnt keep it. They have a decent amount of green iguanas. I keep eyeing one or two but havent pulled the trigger yet. the woman wants a red iguana but i really dont want to raise one from a baby especially when there are ones in need of a good home
I keep eyeing them too. I really like the green ones better than red. Green is such a beautiful color in the reptile world.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
there is one there named "Bubs" that is green with a blue head. The volunteers said he was a sweetheart and the tamest one. We tried to adopt him but somebody already paid the adoption fee and has a hold on him. I would take him in a heartbeat

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
@lisa127 please take some pictures of them when you stop by so that Tom gets his satisfaction haha. they are on a new tortoise table in the suclata room

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Harris doesn't post a lot, but all reading should know that harris ROCKS!!!