The Mighty Odin's indoor oasis-The Build

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I had the same feelings for anticipation at the beginning of the spring this past year, when we started building the outdoor enclosure/garden. It was so cool seeing it come together!! :) It will be super cool for you as well; I know it! ;D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I'm having computer problems so I'm on my phone I'm not sure how to upload photos but if you click on my profile and go to all postings by this profile and look for greenhouse enclosure or search greenhouse enclosure and find the one with my avatar pic that's mine but it's been heavily planted with spider plants, Boston ferns and spiderwort

1439932437630.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Woah, very cool!! :) Looks like some good humidity in there too!

Last edited:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Seeing @johnandjade 's progress today inspired me to get a little bit done tonight.

Small box lined with heavy duty shower curtain:001.JPG

A scene from one of Dexter's kill rooms:002.JPG

My "little" guy cramming himself in the greenhouse to tidy up a few ends:003.JPG

And one of the cats enjoying what will likely be his last opportunity to enjoy the box:012.JPG

Working with that poly was a GINORMOUS pain in the behind! It was just so big and hard to get the two layers mostly smoothed out.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I hope so! It seems to be taking FOREVER! We still have to do the cap boards to cover the poly ends and anchor the greenhouse frame on the sides, which hopefully I will have time to do tonight after work. Other than that, the heating cable has been delivered and I picked up the landscaping mesh and zip ties to hold that down, my son picked up what is hopefully the rest of the soil last night, and of course I have more than enough plants and seeds, so by the end of the weekend we should have a fully functioning greenhouse!
Of course we are still awaiting delivery on the additional timer and heat lamp fixture, AND we still have to move and revamp his current enclosure to add it on.......but, greenhouse!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Getting ever closer to the fun part!

While the boy and I were working on cap boards the hubby finally got involved! He has been joking that when Odin is done with it it can be his coffin, so he had to check it for comfort. He said if he gains a few more pounds it will not be deep enough, but otherwise he was pleased. 006.JPG

I cut the mesh and laid out the heating coil (upside down):007.JPG 009.JPG

Then removed it and laid about a half inch of peat moss010.JPG

Before flipping it over and laying it back it.011.JPG

Of course I took a peek from tort level while the boy hauled in SO. SO. many pounds of top soil and peat moss, and a bag of organic compost012.JPG 013.JPG

We stopped at about 4 inches deep for tonight. Tomorrow morning I will start transplanting his snacking trays and various plants and filling in with even more soil, peat moss and coco coir.

Oh, and on the edge of the greenhouse? That's my beer. I'm going to finish that and then have another to celebrate!017.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The planting has begun!
I transferred chunks of grass and weed sod from his snacking trays, added the small hibiscus, some aloe and a nice healthy spiderplant, filled it up to the doorways with more soil and sprayed all the plants with diatomaceous earth since they have been outside all summer. Now I am letting everything sit for a bit while I pick the dirt from underneath my nails and fire up the heating coil for the first time. Later I will attach the frame to the cap board, put on the greenhouse tent, start to seed and water everything in, and then the arduous task of starting to clean up the huge mess we have made in the room!
Oh, and I should mention that we also ever so slightly shimmed the cap boards so they tilt into the greenhouse to assure any condensation will run in rather than out.003.JPG 004.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Wow this is really shaping up great!
Thank you! It has certainly turned into a bigger project than I anticipated. How hard can it be to build a couple of boxes, right?:eek:

This morning before I got to seeding and getting everything watered, my son insisted Odin finally get a glimpse and take a walk-a-bout.

*prepare for gratuitous tort shots*

005.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 022.JPG 030.JPG 033.JPG 038.JPG 045.JPG

He wasn't in there long because we still had electrical work to do, but he checked out every inch!

After that we installed GFCI outlets in the room and I did a bit of cleaning, and now the boy and Odin are outside enjoying a beautiful sunny day.

One minor hang-up. The oil heater that my older son had in the room is apparently broken....that darn kid!:mad:
So, I will have to run and buy a new one, but in the scheme of things, that is the easiest part of all of this!053.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
SUPER JEALOUS! ;)

Also the humidity in the greenhouse for little Odin will be great for him as a baby! :<3: I love your tortoise love!