The Mighty Odin's indoor oasis-The Build

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Good thing Odin will be living a long, healthy life with you guys, so he's most likely quite patient! ;) More hugs!
I don't think it's patience as much as having zero interest in what the humans are doing as long as he has lotsa noms to keep him busy!
This is going to be AWESOME! Lucky little Odin:)
I sure hope so. I have never built anything quite like this so every detail is being over-thought to death. My poor son is so irritated with me! Every time we discuss and decide on something I will come back the next day with 17 new thoughts and ideas. He said I am terrible to work with. :oops:

But he did say my husband is even worse. :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I know it will come out great because you're all putting so much energy into it! :D My fiancée and I argued a bit over both indoor and outdoor enclosures but we couldn't be happier on how they turned out now (except of course waiting to increase the size of the indoor one -- c'mon, the little dude has his own bedroom anyway...)! XD

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
FINALLY back to work!

Last night I got the last doorway cut out.
006.JPG

Reciprocating like a boss!007.JPG

This morning I sanded down all the rough edges and got the room vacuumed up. Also found out that at this point I can still move the boxes around despite them being a whole lot bigger than me!
Not gonna lie, I totally felt like a superhero.012.JPG

Then a coat of drylok.
I'm on the fence about whether we really need a second coat as all the edges and cracks are going to be sealed and it is going to be fully lined, but I have 3 hours to think about it.013.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
In other news, I am going to go with 2 coats of Drylok. First off, it is recommended, secondly, after reading the manufacturers information online, it takes a week to safely cure before using as a pond sealant, so, even though the wet soil is not going to be in direct contact with it, It just seems prudent to err on the side of safety. So, second coat in a couple of hours and then caulking all the seams. Not sure if we should do the liner tomorrow or wait until next weekend? It says you can paint it after 24 hours.......
Ugh. Probably wait, right? More airflow for curing more better....boo!!!!! Patience is not strong suit.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Looking good!!
Thanks!

Second coat of Drylok complete, no pics because, seriously, it looks the same as the previous pics, only whiter.
Later today, caulking seams, this is NOT the fun part of the build.
I want to get to the greenhouse and the planting already!!!!!!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I have been stressing about the weight of the light hanging from the greenhouse frame and I was sick of it!
So.....BAM! Light frame inside the greenhouse!015.JPG
Just a few 2x3's screwed into the frame, also dryloked.

This is the sort of thing that happens when my son leaves me alone, so, if he doesn't like it, it is his own darn fault!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
All seams now caulked.

On another note, I really need this build to go faster! I brought Odin a snack of opuntia, aloe and a dandelion flower along with his new weekly garden tray, and he just looks ginormous in his tiny enclosure now.
I know he probably still looks small to many of you, but he has grown a ton this summer.017.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Checking my specs.
We are looking at an overall height of 54 inches and about 6.5 feet when the cap boards are added.
I cut the chains long so I could adjust the height of the grow lights. Because of the light frame we won't need pipe clamps to hold the greenhouse frame on the ends, just the sides (score one for my measuring skills!)
Also, the 48" light fixture leaves enough room (nearly 2 feet if the light is slid to one end) to add a hanging CHE if additional heat is required in the greenhouse.001.JPG 002.JPG

Another measuring win for me! The doors are darn near perfect!003.JPG 005.JPG

I don't see anything else getting done today because of the curing time needed for the Drylok and caulk.

Temping the ambient room temp overnight and the highs and lows are in the high 60's, but keep in mind we have not yet turned on the house heat for the winter. We also have an oil heater to boost the room temps and when all of the enclosure lights and heat elements are in place that will also raise the temp significantly. I picked up a thermometer/hygrometer with a probe so I can monitor the temps in the room and the greenhouse when all is said and done.
I am also going to change out one of the existing room outlets and install a GFCI just to make me feel a little better.

So, am I missing anything so far?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Woah, insane! That will be one super spoiled tortoise!