The Mighty Odin's indoor oasis-The Build

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Seriously awesome, and I totally agree!! Odin has gotten huge this summer!!
I know, right? He is a beast! :p

Woah, insane! That will be one super spoiled tortoise!
Yeah....I think we can agree that that ship sailed some time ago.:D

Since I couldn't do anything for the actual build today I instead ended up obsessing madly over it and made a couple executive decisions. First off, I ordered a heating cable for the greenhouse. I know that many here don't recommend them but I will do my due diligence in safely securing it as deeply as possible, and I really think with our set-up and location it will be beneficial. It will only be in the greenhouse portion and it is more to maintain Odin's "restaurant" than for heating.
Also....I kind of accidentally did some research on banana plants and found a super dwarf variety that i only supposed to get 2-4 feet high! Obviously, I had to order one for the greenhouse.

Don't judge me. :oops:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh fantastic! I'm looking at sealing a smaller box, and had read that it might take more than 1 gallon.
I used a brush rather than a roller, since wood is smoother than masonry, but having used it on masonry in the past, I can tell you that with brick or masonry you will need A LOT more than you think. For wood it is much more wallet friendly and it really did a great job of sealing the small seams between boards. I still caulked them all anyway, but I bet I could have skipped the smaller ones if I had wanted to.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Is there a worry that at some point, the Drylok could flake off and Odin could accidentally consume some? A scary thought, but I figured I would ask since I have the plastic liner over my enclosure -- which is not foolproof since Steve rips it burrowing into it! Silly tort!

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
There was a guy posting in a thread earlier saying that he used it in terrariums with monitor lizards and their big claws couldn't scratch the stuff up. Not speaking from experience here, but if it can stand up to that I'd think its probably fine. I know people make full aquariums out of plywood and drylok so it doesn't seem to be that flaky.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Is there a worry that at some point, the Drylok could flake off and Odin could accidentally consume some? A scary thought, but I figured I would ask since I have the plastic liner over my enclosure -- which is not foolproof since Steve rips it burrowing into it! Silly tort!
Not really, that stuff adheres very well and even in constantly wet masonry applications I have not seen issues with flaking unless it was applied to an unclean / oily surface. Plus, I figure if it is safe when fully cured for pond sealing application, it should be more than safe in this one.

Also, the boxes will be fully lined poly over the Drylok. :)

Magilla504

Odins new house looks great! I love the amount of effort that you have put into your new enclosure. Looks like high quality work!

I have never used drylok with the tables I built so I have no clue how it holds up. Another idea that has worked well for me is to line the enclosure with cheap vinyl flooring. It's water proof with a little caulk at the edges where the seems comes together.

Also, another cool feature I like to add is a deep burrowing tub. I buy the thick plastic concrete mixing tubs at the hardware store. Then I will measure and cut the floor so that it drop in place. I'll add a few 2 x 3's under the frame for extra support.After a few screws and some caulk to seal the edges it's good to go. Now Instead on having to fill my tables up with tons of substrate I can have 3 or 4 inches plus however deep the tub is. It gives my Russians plenty of depth to burrow and it's very cheap to add to an enclosure. Also saves me on all the extra substrate that it would take to deep fill a large indoor enclosure.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Odins new house looks great! I love the amount of effort that you have put into your new enclosure. Looks like high quality work!

I have never used drylok with the tables I built so I have no clue how it holds up. Another idea that has worked well for me is to line the enclosure with cheap vinyl flooring. It's water proof with a little caulk at the edges where the seems comes together.

Also, another cool feature I like to add is a deep burrowing tub. I buy the thick plastic concrete mixing tubs at the hardware store. Then I will measure and cut the floor so that it drop in place. I'll add a few 2 x 3's under the frame for extra support.After a few screws and some caulk to seal the edges it's good to go. Now Instead on having to fill my tables up with tons of substrate I can have 3 or 4 inches plus however deep the tub is. It gives my Russians plenty of depth to burrow and it's very cheap to add to an enclosure. Also saves me on all the extra substrate that it would take to deep fill a large indoor enclosure.
Thank you! My son and I are both pretty handy, but this is a bit out of our wheelhouse so it's great to hear positive feedback!

I would love to save a bit of money (and weight) on the substrate, but since the greenhouse will be heavily planted, I think 6 inches will be the minimum I can get away with, particularly for my cute little banana plant I ordered! (squee!)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks for the link to the banana tree!! I'll definitely be checking that out later!! :)

Thanks again for the Drylok tips as well -- I'll look into that too.

Magilla504

I love it the way it is. I have been wanting to add another section to one of mine to create an L shape like yours that I can close off. Looks like yours might sit on the ground. I always build mine with legs so that's how i put the drop tub in.

By the way, for someone who is "in over their head," it looks awesome!

Goodluck!!!

Magilla504

Actually you said "bit out of your wheelhouse." Oops , lol.
either way you all are talented tortoise table makers!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Actually you said "bit out of your wheelhouse." Oops , lol.
either way you all are talented tortoise table makers!
No matter how you phrase it, I am making it up as I go along and have no idea if we are on the right track!

When all is said and done, it will be a U shape. We still have to add on his small (2x4') current enclosure. The different zones were decided on for a couple of reasons, first, for ease of moving them if we ever have to (one huge 6x6 box is not going to be easily moved), second, I wanted different climates for different plants. The greenhouse is going to be for the higher humidity and light plants, the small section pictured will be for moderate light and humidity plants (it will only be partially enclosed) and the final section will be drier and hotter, for cactus and basking. I am also hoping that by utilizing his current enclosure it will give him a sense of familiarity during the transition so he doesn't get all "Mr. Pissy Pants" on us.
The layout was decided on because, we are hoping, with the turns and doorways and different areas, it will seem bigger to him while on patrol. Walking around a square box is pretty straightforward and dull, but having three different boxes with three different climates might make it more interesting for him.

I know, I know. I WAY overthought the whole thing......

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
It'll be worth it trust me I have the exact same green house for about a year now and its pretty much bioactive I don't have to do Much besides spot cleaning and pruning some of the plants

The water in the soil evaporates causing condisation on the plastic which just falls back into the dirt so I never have to worry about humidity

What are you planning on doing with the excess plastic off the green house the plastic on mine extends past the frame of the green house by like 6-7 inches if you don't do anything the condensation will leak onto the floor

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
It'll be worth it trust me I have the exact same green house for about a year now and its pretty much bioactive I don't have to do Much besides spot cleaning and pruning some of the plants

The water in the soil evaporates causing condisation on the plastic which just falls back into the dirt so I never have to worry about humidity

What are you planning on doing with the excess plastic off the green house the plastic on mine extends past the frame of the green house by like 6-7 inches if you don't do anything the condensation will leak onto the floor
I was going to leave it hanging inside the box. The whole box will be lined with poly all the way to the top, and then capped with a board (The cap board will support the greenhouse frame) so no moisture from the condensation will touch any wood and will all remain contained.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Nicely done! Hilarious: "Mr. Pissy Pants" XD I like the idea of the U-shape. This idea would work out great in an L-shape for my Russian (with the space we have available) and was pretty much how I am planning it in my mind. And this greenhouse idea is sounding better and better! @naturalman91 do you have some photos of your enclosure? I need some inspiration! :) Thanks!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
. And this greenhouse idea is sounding better and better! @naturalman91 do you have some photos of your enclosure? I need some inspiration! :) Thanks!
That is the part I am most looking forward to, but have not had much luck in finding photos for inspiration either. Seeing it in my head is one thing, I want to see it in real life!
I can't wait until this weekend!