The Different Races of Redfoot Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Thats where Im having my troubles..... Up in canada even just a northern can be hard to find..... cherryheads are almost impossible.... So Im thinking Im finding mixes? I didnt know they could cross breed??? and what would they look like?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If this works, here is a range map of the groups I made up using the best info I can find...

Redfoot%20Range.jpg

If it does not work, here is a link: http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/range.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think tortoises have hemipenis. They just have penis. And sometimes a female will show a bit of something out the cloaca too. Just sayin'

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
yeah turtles and tortoises have penises snakes and lizards have hemispienes (two penises)

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
2 new ones that were sold as "not northern" but who knows....
The bigger one is like a bowling ball, dark skin with no spots, has the big red scales in the arm pits and a neat design onb the bottom of her shell.... but no red head?
001-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

the smaller one just has neat markings on her bottom but the rest seems pretty normal. The crack is getting fixed :(
Any Ideas where they may be from?
009-1.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Top one is certainly a Northern, and I am pretty sure the bottom one is too. Probably pretty typical North-easterns, which are one of the more common in the pet trade.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
So northerns can get round like a ball and have the big arm pit scales? there are so many variations and traits i cant keep track lol

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
If I had to venture a guess,I'd say Venezuelan for both.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Its no problem mate, Im still getting the hang of this :) Up here there were only northerns and this new type called brazilian cherryheads lol.... Were behind a few years up here lol.
She has the large red triangle scales that only my 2 cherryheads have. All my northerns have nothing similar. and the clear cut markings are throwing me off as all my others are more blotched?
005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Im just trying to be thourough in the future enclosures and breeds or races or subs or whatever they would be called.... I dont want to cross breed... and I have to start shopping for diffrent kinds of males (next to impossible up here) so i would love to know what im working with before i start building my battle plans :)
And you guys in the states seem to have all the breeds at your disposal and all the Info first hand..... All I can do is search here LOL :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ha! Only the Northeastern (Guyana, Suriname, etc.) type and Eastern (Brazilian, 'cherry-head') are commonly available here. We almost never see the Northwestern (Panamanian), or Southern (Gran Chaco), and rarely see any from Colombia.

As far as DNA shows, all of the color phases of Northeasterns are the same type of tortoise.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
So where would a northern pick up the triangle scales in the armpits lol :) Or the distinct triangle patterns on the belly?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
From what I've been told by some pretty reliable folks,the triangles indicate Venezuelan blood.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.Don't know about the scales in the armpits.

Madkins007 said:
Ha! Only the Northeastern (Guyana, Suriname, etc.) type and Eastern (Brazilian, 'cherry-head') are commonly available here. We almost never see the Northwestern (Panamanian), or Southern (Gran Chaco), and rarely see any from Colombia.

As far as DNA shows, all of the color phases of Northeasterns are the same type of tortoise.
This is a Colombian male.

100_4072.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
you see them in the pics tho right.... the triangles? LOL
They are 3 times the size of any other scales and a clear triangle right where my cherrys have theres. none of my northerns have this
I tried to google Venezuelan pics to see if i could maybe match the markings on the bottom but came up very very short like always :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The triangular markings on the plastron seem to occur a lot in Red-foots from the Venezuela/Guyana region, as well as on many (most?) captive-bred tortoises apparently without regard for where the bloodlines may be from.

Groups or types of Red-foots is really confusing right now since there is not a lot of hard research behind it. As mentioned, there is DNA research that shows the groups discussed in this article, but there are still lots of questions.

For example- there do not seem to be a lot of hard-and-fast characteristics to mark the Northern group (Colombians) from others north of the Amazon. Jackrat's photo shows what looks like a pretty typical Guyanan or Northeastern type... but the way the way the prefrontal scute is divided front to back, instead of eye to eye, suggests a Yellow-foot, even if the other head scales do not. That may be typical of Colombians, it may be a random occurrence on his tort or in that bloodline, or it may indicate some mixed blood.

Basically, unless you KNOW the wild history of the animal or its family line, we are just guessing where it is from.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Is it common for a non cherryhead to have the "spur" scales on the inner front legs enlarged just like the cherryheads do?
Thats what im talking about, if it was just the triangles on the belly I would let this go lol but this one also has 1/2 inch triangle spurs on her inner front legs that only my cherryheads have.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Ok.... Im super curious now.... Ive gone through about every search I could on here and could'nt find anything on the spurs of a cherryhead on a northern or any other almost sub species?
Here is My newest redfoot I just aquired :) She also has 1/2 inch red spurs in her arm pits just like my cherry heads....AND she is starting to get marbel spots in the edges of her scales.... Where did she come from?
002-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
(Sorry- I thought I answered this earlier.)

A cluster of big scales is not the same as a spur, and Northern types can mottle as well- just usually not as often or as much as Easterns/cherry-heads.

If you go to http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/easternrf.html (and the pictures are loading right) you can see the single enlarged scale that people have seen the tortoise use as a hook to pull over plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.