The debatable section

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Could i just ask... the point of this section...

Seems you can't actually debate here... if someone name calls... instead of deleting or editing the one post... the whole thread either gets moved to a place where it can't be viewed... or closed... i thought moderaters were meant to moderate... which actually does include editing... not just getting rid of the whole lot...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
stells said:
Could i just ask... the point of this section...

Seems you can't actually debate here... if someone name calls... instead of deleting or editing the one post... the whole thread either gets moved to a place where it can't be viewed... or closed... i thought moderaters were meant to moderate... which actually does include editing... not just getting rid of the whole lot...

I wish it were that simple. As a normal rule, we do just edit the offending word, words, sentence or entire thread. However sometimes and AFTER warnings, folks will not get back on track, then some further action must be taken to keep the free from all from getting out of line. If we believe the thread has lots the ability to stay on track and to stay on good behavior (well good behavior in light of it being a debate thread) we keep it open. Otherwise it is closed. Usually when a thread is moved to the area where we Mods can see it, but you regular members can't, it means we want more Mods/Josh to look at it and decide it's fate. Such as was done with a debate thread last night, which I believe will soon be coming back.

As Mods we do moderate, and also sometimes the finial decision is not ours alone, but also the wishes of the owner of this site, Josh, who always has the finial say.

None of the Moderating teams wants to or like to end up closing a thread or moving it, but sometimes we feel we have to for the overall good of the forum.

S

stells

I am admin on another forum... so know the workings as such... and know the hard work it can be... but on the forum which i am admin on... we rarely close or remove threads... we edit... delete and put the work in to put it back on track... it is alot of effort at times... but worth it to show the members that all opinons are allowed to be aired...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
stells said:
I am admin on another forum... so know the workings as such... and know the hard work it can be... but on the forum which i am admin on... we rarely close or remove threads... we edit... delete and put the work in to put it back on track... it is alot of effort at times... but worth it to show the members that all opinons are allowed to be aired...
Sounds EXACTLY like this forum. We also RARELY have to go to that extreme either. I do belong to that other forum and yes I can agree you do also rarely do it, but I can recall a few times for SW, too.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I too am an admin on another forum, so I too know how it works. The reality is every forum and every set of moderators has their own rule set in regards to this issue. On my forum, any questionable posts are pulled and the thread is temporarily closed with a note stating that a questionable post is being reviewed and causing the temporary closure. I then give the questionable posts author a chance to edit their own post. If they choose to edit, great. If they choose to pull, that's fine too. I have never, and would never, edit someone elses post.

This happens maybe once a year.

S

stells

But closing threads in the debatable section... just causes more heartache... and creates more threads... if someone is in the middle of a debate... and it closes that debate will carry on elsewhere...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you are currently trying to prove that point. I am going to end this now, because I don't want to get into a debate here. I have stated once more in this thread why we felt the need to keep for awhile a debate thread off the regular forum areas. I am sorry you feel the Mods here are doing such a poor job. You have the right to your opinion.

S

stells

No the proof was last night when another thread appeared... this is the help and feedback section... i thought it was for members to give feedback... and i'm sorry if me giving my opinion makes you think that you are doing a bad job... was just offering some feedback on the forum... but i guess that is out of bounds too...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
stells said:
No the proof was last night when another thread appeared... this is the help and feedback section... i thought it was for members to give feedback... and i'm sorry if me giving my opinion makes you think that you are doing a bad job... was just offering some feedback on the forum... but i guess that is out of bounds too...

Personally, I don't think we Mods are doing a bad job. As to this being a feedback section yes it is, and I appreciate you making your comments, I just don't want our differing opinions to start a mini debate of our own. Your comments will be thought over.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Moderating a forum is hard. I fall more into the let the posts go and let the chips fall where they may camp, but lots of forums have lost good members due to this approach.

I think the mods are trying their best and doing a good job.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thread you're talking about was escalating into name calling and was really getting out of hand. This is a family forum and we have very young kids as regular posters. We like our members to set a good example for them, and when it starts to get into name calling or worse, its time for a cool down period. The "fight" was between Tom and Paul. John had no business starting up that new thread. Tom and Paul should have taken it to the PM section and John should have stayed out of it.

The original thread was moved out of sight while we all decided whether to reinstate it or not. It has now been decided to reinstate it. But some of us work and don't get on the forum until evening. So it can't all be done instantly. It takes time to get all of us together to make a decision.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm not even sure what threads is/are being referred to, but can I get a clarification on something?

When someone says "that was a stupid comment" or "you're making a dumb argument," are those phrases, in the moderator's minds, personal attacks? Name calling? It seems like people think I've personally attacked people here (which I never have). I've probably said "that was a stupid argument to make" and I was probably correct, but I would never call someone stupid themselves; it doesn't serve a purpose to do that. I think we need to re-define "name calling" or at least clarify what is referred to as a personal attack, both by the dictionary and by the forum, since I think they differ from each other.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
What about a no holds barred section (no mods) for those of us who can handle it? The hottest arguements are usually the ones that teach us the most.
"The hottest fires make the hardest steel"

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Az tortoise compound said:
What about a no holds barred section (no mods) for those of us who can handle it? The hottest arguements are usually the ones that teach us the most.

I think that's what PM's are for...or other forums.

you can even copy someone into the message.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
You, my friend are a genius. hope is spelled that correctly

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
onarock said:

Rock, you are too funny...you got genius right, but screwed the pooch on "I"...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
exoticsdr said:
onarock said:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
LOL thanks Doc...

Dean, you should be thankful that my grammer is poor and I'm not elequant with the pen. Imagine how bad you would look if I was. "next time let squamata answer for himself". LOL... I get it!

DeanS said:
exoticsdr said:
onarock said:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
onarock said:
LOL thanks Doc...

Dean, you should be thankful that my grammer is poor and I'm not elequant with the pen. Imagine how bad you would look if I was. "next time let squamata answer for himself". LOL... I get it!

DeanS said:
exoticsdr said:
onarock said:

It's grammar and eloquent! I'm not worried about you making me look bad in the least!;)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
onarock said:

I would dive into this, but I'm afraid the water isn't quite deep enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.