Should debatable be moved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Should the debatable topic be moved out from under the tortoise category? Or could we make a separate one in the off topic section? I have no complaints about the topics or arguments, just always confused as to why we argue about non tortoise things in that tortoise debatable area... Plus it might read better to guests...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Crap!

I'm the one who did that! I meant to put it in the other topics section, which I was somehow thinking WAS "debatable, non-tortoise".

Sorry!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, Stephanie, you didn't do that. Jordan is talking about the section itself, not your post.

Good Catch Jordan. I'll refer this thread to Josh. I agree that "Debatable Topics" should be down in the "Everything Else" section along with the "Off Topic Chit Chat."

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Good thought, I've wondered the same thing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't think there should be any off topic subjects or sections on this site. If you want to rant and rave about anything non-tortoise there are plenty of sites out there to do so on.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
No... I suspect that the debatable topics section was created for the debatable topics of tortoise keeping.

I don't mind debates on other topics.

It shouldn't be moved.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with GBtortoises...this site is about turtles and tortoises, I personally don't give a hoot about home schooling or most of the other off topic chit chat stuff that's here. There are many other places for that... I think the debatable section is for tortoise stuff...UVB for instance, use Mazuri or not debatable stuff that's about tortoise and turtles is what should happen here...I think this site should be about all thing chelonian...this is not a social networking site, or shouldn't be

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
For the control freaks who have a problem with it... a little advice... once you know the subject matter and you don't like it... ignore/delete it.

maggie3fan said:
I agree with GBtortoises...this site is about turtles and tortoises, I personally don't give a hoot about home schooling or most of the other off topic chit chat stuff that's here. There are many other places for that... I think the debatable section is for tortoise stuff...UVB for instance, use Mazuri or not debatable stuff that's about tortoise and turtles is what should happen here...I think this site should be about all thing chelonian

chadk

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I agree with GBtortoises...this site is about turtles and tortoises, I personally don't give a hoot about home schooling or most of the other off topic chit chat stuff that's here. There are many other places for that... I think the debatable section is for tortoise stuff...UVB for instance, use Mazuri or not debatable stuff that's about tortoise and turtles is what should happen here...I think this site should be about all thing chelonian...this is not a social networking site, or shouldn't be

Oh come on Maggie - this site would be so boring without your posts on cats, broken bones, motor cycles, NASCAR, hot rods, and especially animal communicators!! :p

M

Maggie Cummings

-EJ said:
For the control freaks who have a problem with it... a little advice... once you know the subject matter and you don't like it... ignore/delete it.

maggie3fan said:
I agree with GBtortoises...this site is about turtles and tortoises, I personally don't give a hoot about home schooling or most of the other off topic chit chat stuff that's here. There are many other places for that... I think the debatable section is for tortoise stuff...UVB for instance, use Mazuri or not debatable stuff that's about tortoise and turtles is what should happen here...I think this site should be about all thing chelonian

I am far from a control freak Ed...I was simply expressing my opinion. This forum is about turtles and tortoises so most of the posts should relate to that. As for the rest of the stuff...I have to read it because I am a moderator and must help in policing the rest of you. :) That means reading stuff I'm not interested in...:D

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I meant to attach that to GB... You're doing a fantastic job as a moderator... very objective.

maggie3fan said:
-EJ said:

maggie3fan said:

I am far from a control freak Ed...I was simply expressing my opinion. This forum is about turtles and tortoises so most of the posts should relate to that. As for the rest of the stuff...I have to read it because I am a moderator and must help in policing the rest of you. :) That means reading stuff I'm not interested in...:D

M

Maggie Cummings

-EJ said:
I meant to attach that to GB... You're doing a fantastic job as a moderator... very objective.

maggie3fan said:
-EJ said:

maggie3fan said:

I don't have to be objective in my opinions as a moderator, I just have to be fair in my actions...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
All of the moderators on here are invaluable to the health of this forum, working very hard to keep this a place where people want to hang out.

That said, Yvonne is the salt, Maggie the pepper...where would life be without a little spice? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ya know...it never occurred to me that the "debatable" topics should only be about turtles and tortoises. If that's the case, we have so been abusing the thread.

I would like it much better if the debates were only about turtles and tortoises. But if that were the case, we wouldn't get to know each other as well as we do when we see the "other" side of your personality in a heated debate about, for instance, "Badmouthing" or "PETA."

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Perfectly stated.

emysemys said:
Ya know...it never occurred to me that the "depatable" topics should only be about turtles and tortoises. If that's the case, we have so been abusing the thread.

I would like it much better if the debates were only about turtles and tortoises. But if that were the case, we wouldn't get to know each other as well as we do when we see the "other" side of your personality in a heated debate about, for instance, "Badmouthing" or "PETA."

M

Maggie Cummings

chadk said:
maggie3fan said:

Oh come on Maggie - this site would be so boring without your posts on cats, broken bones, motor cycles, NASCAR, hot rods, and especially animal communicators!! :p

I am flattered that you follow my posts so thoroughly...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Maggie - I'm your biggest fan <insert creepy laughter here>

:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know, when I pushed for us even having a debate section, I never thought about it including things not tortoise related. That being said, if we don't have those threads in the debate section (or make a new debate section just for non tortoise debate topics), then nobody can really debate the subject. So much of what happens in a good debate, skates too close or gently steps on the rules of allowed forum behavior in any thread other then in the debate section.

I personally enjoy the things I get to see and read in here that have nothing to do with tortoises. It helps me form a more clear mental picture of each of you...and that helps I think for us to give each other better advice on tortoises to each other.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I never meant remove the debatable tort area, just more add a section for off topic... but the more and more I notice the that percentage of topics on this sight are completely off topic and political, the more I am leaning toward the idea that the forum should not support off topic debate at all

Status
Not open for further replies.